[Stoves] SilverFire / UCEED (University Center for excellence and developmental disabilities targeted families). Stoves to Puerto Rico

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Dec 3 17:38:11 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil and Todd

Much as I had higher hopes for the US-funded stoves community, I agree with the evaluation given below.

I am not sure how you define ‘corruption’. It matters more that significant advances in testing and product development have been deliberately blocked, meaning as a conscious act, not incompetence. In one case the GACC required, as a condition of funding a national stove programme, that two people they identified not be permitted to participate, one the international advisor of the national programme and the other, the one directing testing and test methods. Is that business as usual or unusual business?

I am interested to know from anyone on this list of the GACC has required, as a condition of getting funds for a stove programme, the use of the WBT for product rating and selection. The GACC very publicly (in North Carolina) accepted to take over the custodianship of the WBT and it is literally “their test method” now. It has also been just as publicly criticized very specifically for technical errors. Some of these errors have been quietly corrected. Some have been publicly corrected, and many more have not.

What is a problem is any demand to use a test method with such important known defects as a condition of getting funded. Everyone agrees, everyone, that the WBT does not predict performance in the field. This statement has nearly always been accompanied by some qualification saying that while it is good for product development and pre-screening, field evaluations should always be done.  Well, stop right there! If it doesn’t predict even reasonable, performance in use, it sure as heck should not be used for pre-screening anything. “Pig in a poke<http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pig-in-a-poke>” and all that.

If the entire stove community, including the WBT authors and proponents and custodian agree that no WBT reasonable predicted field performance, then all WBT results should be chucked in favour of either a recalculation or testing. Deleted with these results should be the Stove Comparison Chart with all its misrepresentations.

Re-rated properly, the most significant changes in ratings will be seen for TLUD gasifiers that make charcoal, and Rocket Stoves (because they make above-average amounts of char). It would be interesting to see where charcoal stoves land on a new rating platform.