[Stoves] Thai Bucket Stove

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:37:38 CST 2017

Crispin, Tom:

If ITDG was involved, Stephen Joseph and possibly Ray Holland may remember.

I found an impressive Winrock report for USAID - IMPLEMENTATION PLAN FOR
INCREASING THE ADOPTION AND USE OF EFFICIENTCHARCOAL COOKSTOVES IN URBAN
ANDPERI-URBAN KIGALI
<https://www.scribd.com/document/54889270/Implementation-Plan-for-Increasing-the-Adoption-and-Use-of-Efficient-Charcoal-Cookstoves-in-Urban-and-Peri-Urban-Kigali>
(Winrock
for USAID 2007).

It states, "In the late 1980s CARE helped a Rwandan entrepreneur to produce
and market the KCJ under the local name canamaké. CARE only promoted the
stove for about a year in Rwanda. After the CAREproject ended, the Rwanda
entrepreneur continued production of the canamaké stove (ESMAP, 1991)."

This comports with my memory from what Robert told me while wandering in
Kigali market in 2004. I think he started the reported ESMAP activity in
Kigali but stopped in 1994 after the genocide until we went together in
2004. I became a target of Kagame's internal security and intelligence
apparatus, but Robert continued and produced some other reports, including
some mentioned in this Winrock report that also has some history of stove
projects at the end.

I will try to locate the writer of this report.

Nikhil