[Stoves] Thai Bucket Stove

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 14:50:50 CST 2017

Nikhil et al:  (Adding Paul)

	1.  Looks like a good report.  I wish I had time to do more than skim.  Winrock has a long history with stoves.  We are very fortunate that they remain involved with GACC and EPA.

	2.  The most interesting paragraph for me was this at the beginning (p25) of Annex 1, noting the factor of 9 (nine!) in the efficient use of a diminishing resource.   (Sorry that I had to use a screen shot, as the publishers prohibited a simple copy)

	3.  The charcoal stoves are reported to have an efficiency of about 1/3.  But (including the energy density differences of 18 and 30 MJ/kg), the real efficiency expressed by this factor of 9 is about 5 or 6 %!

	4.   5 or 6 % is unacceptable everywhere but especially in Rwanda.  See what pops up (Gorilla deaths in first place) when you google for “charcoal legality Rwanda”.  The outlawing of charcoal occurred in 2004 - before this report.

	5.  Rwanda (and other countries) could help itself by saying that sale of charcoal needed proof (when and where) that there had been productive use of the pyrolysis gases.  Costs should also go down - not up.  Employment should go up as wood is prepared.

Ron