[Stoves] No subsidies in TLUD char peoduction

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 10:44:24 CST 2017

Crispin:

Public expenditures are not all "subsidies".

The word "subsidy" has no precise meaning nor an estimate, except as the
amount of expenditure. It is a red herring. It is upsetting that physicists
and engineers want to preach "market solutions" for the poor while enjoying
fat subsidies themselves.

It's not that I am unaware of the arguments about subsidies or haven't been
smack in the middle of them. All I can say is that there are dumb subsidies
and there are smart subsidies. Output-based capital subsidies that can be
dished out on a competitive basis (roughly) are generally smart.

In Rwanda, the finance minister who had approved the budget for the Kigali
prison biogas project was extremely smart. He saw something worth putting
his money on and knew how the project can be contracted out with whose
supervision.

It also saved him money on fuel. (After all, he also had to budget for the
prison.)

Is that a "subsidy"?

What is your problem with "subsidy"? If you are trying to rationalize a
research program - inherently difficult to do under ODA projects, except
via a science and technology grant - that too is a "subsidy" under your
definition.

I don't think Paul's project is part of the CDM. You don't need to see the
whole "financial picture" because that too is a myth. One-time financial
picture means nothing, and a forecast of balance sheets is subject to so
many assumptions that it is useless to share it in public. Just try to get
financials for some startup financed by venture capital.

Why do you want to know the whole financial picture? I imagine Paul and
many others in comparable projects have put in "sweat equity",
"intellectual capital" whose returns are in the growth of business itself.

Nurturing, developing such businesses -- the implementing partner in
Deganga who wanted stoves in the first place, plus stove manufacturers and
designers, testers - is an art. Takes a lot of money and TLC and
over-burdening them with certification requirements a la CDM and Gold
Standard is, to me, a waste of resources. Simpler expenditure programs can
be designed, though governments and donors are short of money, short of
attention span.

What to subsidize and how, how much, whom to give money, are thorny
questions. LPG subsidies are relatively easy to design and don't have much
overhead in seeing that money flows. It used to be that fixing the price
was the way an implicit cross-subsidy was forced on Indian oil companies.
Now the money goes for the most part to households. There are arguments for
and against such form and levels of subsidies, and subsidy dependence is a
serious problem, as with  food and fertilizer subsidies.

Just how the stoves are run is a question of consumer behavior and choice.
If the $40 is adequate to install and start using the stove, that is good
enough, though there should have been field testing for usability, safety,
durability.

So long as once installed, users continue to profit from it, including via
charcoal sales, and buy a replacement or a supplemental one (say, dedicated
to commercial cooking and charring), that is proof enough of success and
sustainability to me. Next time around, another area, another technology,
another kind of  "external" money.

Your second question is about performance risk. Some performance risks
ought to be avoidable by field testing and monitoring; some others - e.g.,
"stacking" - are not really anybody's bother. CDM has made a weird rule
about destroying the old stove; just guarantees that wrong products may be
chosen and consumer value is ignored.

Who is this "we" in "We are not allowed to take unconscionable risks and
risks have to have a mitigation plan" and where? Everything, I repeat, is
contextual. The $142 million raised at Clean Cooking Summit went to
somebody somehow, no? What did the donors want and how was it delivered?

Without a good product that meets the desired service standard, no amount
of subsidy is going to do anything in the long term. From that finance
minister's perspective, the question was, "I can commit to continuing
expenditures for ten years if spending the money guarantees that biogas,
stoves, micro-hydro can keep expanding and improve the living conditions
and generate employment." (Not exactly his words, but you get the idea.
There are many ways to skin the cat.)

Nikhil