[Stoves] "Those of us who believe that the WBT is critical to stove improvement"

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 23:36:47 CST 2017

Crispin:

What does it matter that "It is agreed by everyone that I can find that the
WBT does not predict performance in use." if the performance metric itself
is irrelevant?

All your belaboring is that WBT doesn't predict efficiency in use and that
there are valid theoretical reasons that it simply cannot.

I argue that there isn't an iota of evidence that efficiency is the
performance metric around which users select stoves or organize their
cooking practices.

Even if you don't agree with me, all it says is that "It is agreed by not
everyone".

The fundamental problem is one of legality. Anybody can do anything they
want, measure the length of women's skirt as indicative of temperature and
wind for example. Makes no difference that it doesn't reliably predict
actual weather if everybody agrees that it is good enough approximation.

Nothing is ever gained from expert disagreements. If WBT has harmed
anybody, go to any court that would take up a case that use of WBT violated
any particular regulation; since that claim cannot be made, arguing about
it is useless.

Since everything that I see going on is private agents choosing to do as
they please, it needs to be advertised -- and announced loud and clear --
that WBT is not reliable on efficiency.

I see no evidence at all that it - or any other protocol - has been found
to be a good predictor of PM2.5 emission rates in actual use of stoves.

The sole rationale for test protocols is now in terms of PM2.5 emission
rates because, as far as I can tell, PM2.5 ERTs are the limiting
constraints for a solid fuel stove being put in Tier 4.

Yes, GACC might want it because then only LPG and electricity can be
promoted.

But so what? What is your theory of change and theory of damage, as
estimated by whom? It's not as if GACC and its donor governments are lined
up with a billion dollars to spend on solid fuel stoves put in Tier 4 for
PM2.5 hourly average emission rates.

You don't have a theory of change. You don't have a theory of damage. You
are only complaining - and I joint you in complaining - that WBT falls
short in its promises; I say that the promises are not worth a hoot to the
cook.

Prove me wrong. What business are you in - beating a dead horse that has
value only for Gold Standard and GACC?

Poor people have no enforceable right against EPA, the Empire Promotion
Authority. This whole business smacks of exploiting poor girls of today who
just may want a better stove on their own terms, not those of experts'. But
it is the experts who make money, so once EPA funds run out, let's hope the
next payor of the piper asks for different tunes.

Nikhil

PS: There is a double meaning in any assertion about "peer-reviewed".  One
is that when an opportunity is offered to contest a claim, some people
capable of testing the claim and having the resources to do that test would
honestly point out its potential pitfalls. As I tried to make obvious with
my link to the WHO methodology on HAP GND 2012 methodology, this
interpretation does not hold. All kinds of numbers were cooked up by
passing the hat around for getting peer-approval stamps.

So the other interpretation is simply that "peer-reviewed" means an excuse
to get one's errors - inadvertent or deliberate - past the invisible
gatekeeper that is "scientific method" and "scientific integrity",and do
anything one wishes.

That, unfortunately, is the state of so-called "stove science". Any thing
goes. Find another payor to the pipers. Until then, John Mitchell rules,
and Berkeley caravan (except Daniel Wilson, I suppose) rolls along.

Why don't you write to US government - say, Scott Pruitt; John Mitchell
actually invited the listeners to the Winrock webinar last week to write to
himself and cc Scott Pruitt - and UKAid, EU, all the European donors to
GACC, CDM authorities, and Gold Standard Foundation that continued use of
WBT and irrelevant "performance metrics' are crimes against humanity?

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*