[Stoves] Going back to 3-Stone Fire [Was Re: China and cookstoves]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 07:42:06 CST 2017

Frank:

Thank  you. You have shown the divergence between reality and some research
these days - the kind that leads nowhere but propagation of theory without
affirmation in reality.

Yes, "Getting control over the studies will require labs like Aprovecho to
test the fuels along with field studies as both are needed so the research
can be replicated." When the EPA/GACC money dries up.

On reality, I agree with you that "We can always go back to the 3-stone
fire". That is precisely what practically everybody who has just moved from
3-stone fire does. Experts call it "stacking", poor ignorant cooks call it
freedom to choose.

And that is precisely what the self-proclaimed do-gooders and well-wishers
want to do - ban "stacking" (if only they could get the Kitchen Kops to
break every supplemental stove other than their preferred ones).

So long as consumers choose to "stack", *why not promote any and every
stove that is good enough f*or cooking one thing or the other? Because the
experts want to prove to themselves that their choice stove/fuel combo
saves forests, lives, climate, women's status?

On research, I also agree with you "picking a task like PM2.5 *rather than
a real task* for some research project someone got money for has wasted
time and money". (Emphasis added)

But be realistic - the money wasn't spent by any agency that has anything
to do with cooking, here or anywhere in the world.

In the regulatory world, money is spent on research that would bring the
regulator something more to regulate or raise more research funds for.

When the regulatory approach fails to do that - as it seemingly has done
here, the only exception being Uganda as far as I can tell from the news -
WHO and Gold Standard Foundation (GSF) are roped in. Because WHO can spread
scare and raise money for at least itself and IHME. HEI and that cabal. And
GSF can sell aDALYs

When is this lunacy going to end?

I don't see anybody has an interest in putting an end to this - at least,
not unless they have a product in hand and some money to test market it,
distribute it, hopefully under some warranties.

That is, what I call the ABCD Complex - academic, bureaucratic, consultant,
and donor - is caught in spurious theories of why public funds ought to be
further wasted on research on stoves that delivered fictitious results.

The poor's lot - being served cake a la mode(l) with creamy theories at the
core and icing of aDALYs.

I for one don't care about energy that is wasted if the fuel cost is low,
so long as the gruel is the kind the cook wants.

The most precious energy being wasted is brainpower. But research funders
are caught in the trap - they are told that PM2.5 needs to be researched
from all directions to confirm its role in causing diseases and conversely,
that mere reduction in hourly emission rate is going to provide global
benefits of health for the current and coming generations for decades.

Citizens of the 22nd Century are already here. Sometimes I feel many
mindsets are stuck in the 18th Century thermodynamics and environmental
science.

Nikhil