[Stoves] Bangladesh TLUD (was Re: No subsidies in TLUD char peoduction

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Dec 9 21:06:39 CST 2017

What a great insight. What s the material called in the shelf?

Thanks
Crispin

On 9 December 2017 at 15:45, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> High alumina materials (above 60% Al2O3) are available in at least three formulations, all castable refractory materials. High alumina castable materials can take 1300 C if the normal bottom of the mine one is used. They are available for much higher Temps. Thermal conductivity is about 1.5. Some, fired to 1300 can take 1700 C thereafter.

Yes you have mentioned these before but I was referring to what was
known as ciment fondu, a cement  that rapidly hardened and was used in
marine applications. There was a civil engineering department that
held a competition for the students in UK where a mould was made in
the sand and a chicken wire mesh laid over it, this formed the steel
reinforcement for a slip-formed concrete which was laid over the mesh,
it hardened in minutes but then the tide came in and it set overnight.
The students then recovered the shells and rowed them in a race around
the bay.

It got a very bad name when it was found to recrystallise over time
and develop faults when uses in high rise buildings but I still used
it for setting concrete fence posts as it sets so fast.

It is calcium aluminates rather than calcium silicate in portland
cement.  I used it, with vermiculite aggregate,in one of my larger
vortex burners in the conical roof but it soon failed as temperatures
reached 1200C but it should cope better than portland cement at these
lower temperatures we are talking about.

Andrew