[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 11 20:07:11 CST 2017

Gordon and Crispin,       (First of 3 replies to about a dozen messages
on this topic.  Not in any special order.  I thank everyone for their
comments.)

There is O in the carbohydrates.   And during pyrolysis / carbonization,
carbon is left behind.   Chemical compositions have changed.   But that
does not mean that the O is "freed" to combust.   Pyrolytic gases are
essentially "smoke" that is with lots of tars and long-chain
hydrocarbons.  Note, long-chain hydROcarbons that will take oxygen atoms
with them up into the combustion zone where the secondary air is present.

I do not know how much O of biomass hydrocarbons becomes freed, but
certainly not all of it, and maybe not much it.  I hope that some
combustion chemist can clarify about this.

I appreciate Crispin's reply statement in a differnent recent message
(copied below) and I hope for some chemist to be able to reply.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com