[Stoves] Top lit updraft combustors

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Dec 13 18:57:46 CST 2017

Norbert and list:

	 See insert questions below

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 3:41 PM, Norbert Senf <norbert.senf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> >>It is inappropriate for promoters of TLUD pyrolysers to claim that the term does
> >>not/cannot be applied to other devices that are top lit updraft combusts.
	[RWL:  I’m going to stay away from the TLUD name issue here.  The key difference is between pyrolyzer and combustor, so the context should always be clear on this list.   Nobody on this list need be talking about the Adam’s Retort or charcoal combustors as TLUDs.

> As an outsider to the TLUD scene, I'd note that we make a top lighting updraft combustor,
> in the form of a heating appliance indigenous to northern Europe. The top lighting is
> not mandatory or traditional, but has been found through testing to be a preferred mode
> of operation for combusting a batch load of cordwood in the 10 - 40 kg range with very low
> particulate (PM) emissions.
	[RWL:  Can you give a lead to look this up?   Makes char?  Probably not as you say “combustor”.  Any theory on why top lighting is cleaner?  Do you always operate batch load only?

> A newly developed combustion air system from Austria can be configured to
> produce biochar as a byproduct. I fooled around with this last winter, and was able to
> make around 300 kg, as a byproduct of heating our house. We have conducted EPA-style
> dilution tunnel PM testing on this as well as on pellet (heating) stoves, and are burning cordwood with
> about half the PM emissions of pellet stoves.
	[RWL:  Can you give us a lead on the Austrian group?
		Can you say a bit more about your own 300 kg of char-making?  I pull char (with tongs) regularly (when I think of it) out of my very small wood stove.  What sort of char-making efficiency in your method?  (I have no idea on mine, but it is not hard to do - and is my concept on how char was produced for the Terra Preta soils.)

> You can find some details here:
> http://heatkit.com/research/2006/lopezm02.htm <http://heatkit.com/research/2006/lopezm02.htm>
	[RWL:  I thought you did a nice job in explaining your whole lab process.  I tried to learn more about Condar - but no web site was found.  Is this a method or a product?

	I stumbled on the stove decathlon.  Any comments for us on whether that could help our interests with much smaller stoves?

Ron