[Stoves] Top lit updraft combustors

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 16:41:27 CST 2017

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
>>It is inappropriate for promoters of TLUD pyrolysers to claim that the
term does
>>not/cannot be applied to other devices that are top lit updraft
combustors.

As an outsider to the TLUD scene, I'd note that we make a top lighting
updraft combustor,
in the form of a heating appliance indigenous to northern Europe. The top
lighting is
not mandatory or traditional, but has been found through testing to be a
preferred mode
of operation for combusting a batch load of cordwood in the 10 - 40 kg
range with very low
particulate (PM) emissions.

A newly developed combustion air system from Austria can be configured to
produce biochar as a byproduct. I fooled around with this last winter, and
was able to
make around 300 kg, as a byproduct of heating our house. We have conducted
EPA-style
dilution tunnel PM testing on this as well as on pellet (heating) stoves,
and are burning cordwood with
about half the PM emissions of pellet stoves.

You can find some details here:
http://heatkit.com/research/2006/lopezm02.htm

Norbert

--