[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 05:15:24 CST 2017

On 15 December 2017 at 05:09, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Andrew,
>
> The fact that the oxygen in the biomass can combine with carbon in the same
> biomass to produce carbon dioxide is demonstrated by anaerobic digestion
> taking place in a biogas plant.

That's a good point Anand, I don't know the pathway by which
methanogenic bacteria convert volatile solids to  CO2 and methane but
it's an example of the possibilities . In your example the hydrogen
remains bonded to a carbon atom whereas Crispin was suggesting there
was a pathway (now possibly not in a stove) for oxygen to combine with
the hydrogen  in wood as it autolyses. The conversation has got a bit
complicated here and Frank has talked about how the offgas behaves in
his heated pipe experiments which may be worth moving to a new thread.

Andrew