[Stoves] "Those of us who believe that the WBT is critical to stove improvement"

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 15:45:11 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil, Ron,

Nikhil, this is probably the third time you are asking me that same
question:

< What are the proofs that the WBT did harm anybody? >

And my answer hasn't changed, so I'll tell you for the third time: < I have
no proof, there are no proofs, because it has never been studied >.

Ask me that same question again, I'll answer the same thing.

If you have 30.5 million dollars from the Gates Foundation to do a 5-year
longitudinal study, please be my guest and lead the way.

And let's wait for the report conclusions to contemplate if maybe we should
act.

In the absence of that, we need to think carefully, and act carefully. But
we need to act.

Nikhil, Ron, it's my turn to ask you questions:

.         There's a loophole in the emission testing system of Volkswagen.
It allows cheating. But, you say we have no way to clearly know how
emissions are harmful to the population. So, we shouldn't care if the engine
is clean or not, and if the test is unreliable or not, because we don't know
the effects of emissions on health anyways.

So should we change the system or not? Should we ask Volkswagen to use a
testing system that is reliable?

.         The NASA realize some of its calculations basically find that 1 +
1 = 3. Those calculations are actually present in many of their research
projects, for various technologies. But they have no way to know how much
impact it had on the projects, because the projects are still going, there
are technologies being developed, all is seemingly quite fine.

Should the mistake be corrected or not?

I have an other question for both of you:

.         How do you measure the impact of the unreliability of the WBT? Do
you have a methodology?

Best,

Xavier

---