[Stoves] "Those of us who believe that the WBT is critical to stove improvement"

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 23:42:19 CST 2017

Ron:

I believe Xavier's reference to Gates and $30.5 million was to a news item
that Tom Miles picked up about a year ago and we had some discussion on it
here.

The basic fact is, there is no quantified evidence of disease reduction due
to the massive population switch from solid fuels to gas and electricity in
the last 100 years. By my crude estimate, some 4 billion people lived
through that transition - with limited "stacking" - in the rich as well as
poor countries over the hundred years; about a half of them have died.

Of course, these 3-4 billion people who made a partial or complete
transition to "clean fuels" have or had lived roughly 200 billion
life-years. Some 500 million of them died in the 26 years GBD has been
around (1990-2016) and lived some 30 billion life-years.

How many of these 500 million deaths were "premature deaths" - as defined
by IHME now - and how many of those deaths plus disability were assigned to
household air pollution from solid fuels? On what basis?

And whatever those "premature deaths" were (there were many post-mature
deaths as well, depending on the age cutoff), how much were their deaths
DELAYED and diseases avoided because of the transition to clean fuels?

There is no data, no theory, no estimates to prove that the reduction of
household air pollution from solid fuels in the last 100 years did this or
that to mortality and morbidity.

There is no evidentiary basis for WHO's computations - I have referred you
to the WHO methodology for HAP GBD in 2012; they haven't made any revisions
since (IHME has done some) - nor is there any basis for Gold Standard
claiming that reduction in HAP concentrations for a few days' monitoring
confers this or that aDALY.

So, millions of dollars are being spent on finding a proof for something
that has already been asserted.

All that money could have gone for technical R&D and improved technical
design for cookstoves (whether or not measured by WBT) and marketing them
to users ready to change.

My reading of Secretary Clinton's initiative is that she simply could not
have found any USG money for cookstove R&D and supply chains in the
developing countries. All she could do is  hope that GACC could raise money
from other sources to do such work (which  it has done) while USG money had
to go to US researchers - in or via EPA, HHS/CDC. Which is why lots of USG
money went into research on "health" benefits from "clean" cookstoves,
almost none on technical R&D or stove adoption projects.

Which is also why GACC - under pressure to show that "clean cookstoves"
meant results in measurable "health benefits" - was unfortunately but
understandably forced to become a marketing agent for LPG and to push WHO
to set SDG 3.9.1 metric from % of household using solid fuels for cooking
to mortality (not premature mortality) attributed to the use of solid
fuels.

To WHO and hence to GACC, solid fuels are by definition polluting.

Since EPA cannot spend much money "health impacts" research in developing
countries, and HHS/CDC weren't coming out with great deal of evidence,
Gates Foundation was pulled in to fund more of this research.

I wonder if it was Gates Foundation that sponsored WHO's work on indoor air
pollution (amounting to assuming worldwide uniformity in PM2.5
concentrations from solid fuels), estimates of global and national burdens
of disease., and the hurried preparation of literature reviews (see here
<http://www.who.int/indoorair/guidelines/hhfc/evidence/en/>) in order to
justify publication of guidelines for Household Fuel Combustion - Solid
Fuels, claiming these guidelines "are informed by the best available
evidence, including newly commissioned or published, systematic reviews."

Anybody working on biomass combustion in developing country households
should have been anxious about the PM2.5 emission reduction targets set by
WHO, because they effectively rule out most biomass stoves from Tier 4,
which is what GACC wants to market via the "implementation science"
approach. To me, this was an ideological war against solid fuels - coal or
biomass. What WHO claims "best available evidence" is not good enough to be
taken seriously in policy development or biomass stove R&D.

Stacks are very carefully set against the proponents of biomass-using
household cookstoves and in favor of gas and electricity. Having asserted,
without evidence or theory, that "clean fuels" confer "health benefits", of
course hundreds of millions of dollars of US money - government or Gates
Foundation or many other sources of health research - have to be spent over
the next 25 years for quantitative proof that this assertion.

Bright careers for health researchers and M&E experts looking for needles
in haystacks.

While serious stove researchers and entrepreneurs get almost no money.

I hope you would look into these allegations and protest against the
anti-poor, anti-biosolid propaganda in the name of health.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*