[Stoves] News: On-the-ground research reveals true impact of cook-stove emissions in India

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Dec 17 11:45:38 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil and Stove Designers

There is something valuable in Nikhil’s comment that we have to have a theory of change” when we propose a measure be implemented.

This also applies to designing a stove. When someone says, “Make that hole larger and move it down 3 cm” they are doing so based on their theory of change. It means they have or claim an understanding of ‘how things work’ and the change proposed should give evidence that the theory is correct.

Many things promoted as ‘truths’ about stove function and design are either in partial error or apply only to particular implementations or devices using a certain fuel. The ‘design rules’ may apply well to certain contexts but are often not “generally true”.  This is a major hindrance for the aspiring product developer. If the guidelines are poorly framed or the metrics they are trying to optimise are defective, they chase ghosts. Anyone optimising their PM emissions per litre simmered is literally blowing smoke<https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blow+smoke>.

Your point is that chasing fuel efficiency and losing usability is pointless. Cooks around the world agree and vote with their feet.

ews: On-the-ground research reveals true impact of cook-stove emissions in India

Ron:

You are making a strawman out of me and relishing demolishing it, burning it.

Enjoy!!

1. You: "And the thousands of paper supporting BOD have no “theory or facts”?    You must have stopped looking."

*** Yeah, right. I only questioned the GBD from HAP, WHO estimates in 2012. I gave you and the list link to WHO's method and results. If you see "data" there, prove it. **

2. The "one study" I mentioned was discussed at the EPA/Winrock webinar recently. Write to Jim Jetter or John Mitchell or Elisa Derby or wait till Winrock uploads the webinar on its website.

3.  See Grant's thesis here<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F265361292_Emissions_of_Rural_Wood-Burning_Cooking_Devices&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd9a87dfdb0aa4fd75b7a08d544efd2be%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636490719175034624&sdata=guNgGYPdq%2FsKxYdi1xnOs%2Bz57zYuqpVUAYVfS5jMRIg%3D&reserved=0>. Kirk Smith's 1999 note to the World Bank should be on his website. My reference to Grant's thesis being on the methods for measuring concentrations, not emissions, was incorrect.

4.  The reason I don't like the IWA metrics of efficiency and PM2.5 is, there is no statement of the problem and there is no theory of change. Prove me the alleged worldwide deforestation and destertification, climate change, ill health, and sexual violence caused by inefficient and smoky use of solid fuels. I have already pointed out that WHO has no data on health and I haven't yet found any data on the other three evils either. When GACC publishes its report on this 8.8 million British pounds research project by DfID - here<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdevtracker.dfid.gov.uk%2Fprojects%2FGB-1-203036&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd9a87dfdb0aa4fd75b7a08d544efd2be%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636490719175034624&sdata=9nCmp8D7cHhYEwJ335%2BTV3gjQPr1w8HyqOvu2vTvY04%3D&reserved=0>.- we might get the evidence I am looking for. Anybody can attribute anything to anything else; the glib and the gullible enjoy a great marriage.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
Skype: nikhildesai888