[Stoves] Coffee waste and briquettes

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 15:33:35 CST 2017

On 17 December 2017 at 20:59, James Robinson <jamesrobinson77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>

> Greetings from a rainy and power outage ridden Malawi. I’m after a quick
> overview of using coffee waste to make briquettes if anyone has the
> knowledge please. I’m just finishing up some work in Timor-Leste and there’s
> a lot of coffee waste which could be put to good use. So what is a typical
> mix of briquette feedstock if coffee husks are involved (approx. 7cm dia.
> extruded) and what are the limitations of using this material? (The waste
> stream is heavily seasonal and market dynamics lean towards an urban
> briquette market. There is very little charcoal used)

James

The Legacy Foundation

ww.legacyfound.org

Sell a series of manuals for  making their medium density holey
briquettes. Richard Stanley previously contributed a lot on [stoves]
about this but we have not heard from him recently.

The gist of the technique is that something "tachy" is initially
needed to hold the briquette together and in the mould before it is
dried when the compression allows hydrogen bonding to take over. The
process has similarities to paper making.

The  tackiness Richard mentioned is from allowing some biomass to
slightly rot (similar to retting in the preparation of linen fibres
from flax).

The briquettes are then air dried.

Andrew