[Stoves] Going back to 3-Stone Fire [Was Re: Chinaandcookstoves]

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 19 16:43:37 CST 2017

List:  Crispin and Kirk (authors of the several preceding notes in this thread - with a non-pertinent title)

	My impression is that Crispin didn’t answer Kirk’s question.  I interpret Kirk to be asking whether Crispin and  others who disparage the WBT also disparage the measurements of CO2, CO and particulates that accompany the efficiency calculations.  I think Kirk is asking whether Crispin (and Xavier, probably Nikhil and Phillip)  think we should ignore all the additional, reported non-efficiency data that regularly comes out of the WBT.  These seem very important to many funders, so it seems to me (and Kirk and many on this list) that we must have a means of getting that non-efficiency data.  If not using something very much like the present WBT (similar duration, similar pot sizes, water quantity, etc), what do the opponents recommend?

Other notes below

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Kirk
>
> If I understand you, you want to know if I object to the WBT calling for the use of ‘sensors’ – is that correct?
>
> All testing uses sensors. Why would someone object to using sensors? How else would measurements be made?
	[RWL1:   And which parameters now in the WBT are to be kept or removed?  We need agreement on more than needing and using sensors.

> The WBT has a fixed testing sequence of power and control. It does not represent cooking anywhere in particular, though it says in the documentation that it is a proxy for cooking. “Rating stoves” using a universal test sequence of operations is nearly pointless because it cannot predict what will happen if someone uses it to cook. If the test doesn’t represent use, how can the result tell us something that will inform policy? You wouldn’t buy a child safety seat that was tested that way.
	[RWL2:   Another major question:
	 Is there value in comparing different stoves in both the lab and in the field?
 Or,
	Should we only trust answers that come from the field?

> Measurements can be made using any instruments you like. Xavier tried using one instrument and didn’t like it. He is a customer and was dissatisfied. I am not.
>
> You asked if he objected to making measurements is that correct? If so I find the question silly, to be frank. We all use instruments to measure performance. The instruments required to make measurements mentioned in the WBT are not part of the testing protocol, they are part of the test apparatus used when conduction the procedures listed in the protocol. Test protocols should list the measurement range and precision required to get a valid result within a confidence interval. The WBT does not contain any such description that would produce results within the range required by the IWA. Writers of Standards include such a list of needed equipment so as to provide the quality of result needed. This has nothing to do with the equipment Xavier bought. It has to do with the test method and the claims which an be made for its results. Such things are normally decided at the beginning during a conceptual analysis of the purpose of the experiment and the quality of results needed.
	[RWL3:  Sorry you feel Kirk asked a “silly” question.  This is my attempt to ask the same, hopefully not “silly” question, which is:

	 Should we be measuring, in a lab setting (with sensors more sophisticated than a clock, thermometer, and scale), CO2, CO, and particulates?

 (and asking Kirk if this phrasing is accurate enough)

> Processing the recorded measurements uses a method included in the WBT document. The method is defective on many counts – it contains approximately 75 systematic errors at present. Some 	are major errors and can be (but might not be) misleading.
	[RWL4:  Where do I go to see that list of 75?  I’m especially interested in one that “can be (but might not be) misleading”

> I object to two things: the claim that a WBT can be used as a pre-screening method before field trials are attempted. That is nonsense. A stove designed to burn a certain fuel and cook certain meals might perform very badly on a standard WBT and very well in the field. Numerous investigations support my POV. Claims that stoves ‘generally perform better in the field if they perform better in the lab using a WBT’. So what? We can’t use ‘might generally perform better’ as a rating.
	[RWL5:  We would all learn a great deal about this “badly..standard WBT”  vs “well in the field”.    Anyone ever seen this non-“nonsense”?

> The second thing I object to is conceptual errors embedded in the test, and the arithmetic errors, some of which are fundamental to the claims made for the results. Obviously the claims for the ‘specific fuel consumption’ are incorrect if it doesn’t report the fuel consumed.
	[RWL6:  I need help on “doesn’t report on the fuel consumed”   That has been a key part of every test lab report I have ever looked at.  This seems a good time for anyone to tell us about “arithmetic errors”.

> I look forward to the day when you have your stove tested using a good test method that is well grounded in science and engineering so we know what its performance actually is. It sounds really good.”.
	[RWL7:  I guess it is obvious we have different opinions on whether the two labs that tested (and agreed on) several of Kirk’s (progressively improved) TLUD designs  were each using “a good method”.   Measuring the stove by Crispin’s (I think still) preferred method [of treating char as (not worth measuring) waste] doesn’t seem to me to be moving towards "a good” method.

Ron

ps:  Still hoping for someone to comment on whether last week’s AGU report on health impacts of smoke from forest fires has any relation to stove health impacts (CO and particulates being apparently quite similar).  To me, this is a strong endorsement of WHO reports on health that at least some stove buyers want.