[Stoves] Chinese testing and Chinese stoves (was Re: "Those of us who believe that the WBT is critical to stove improvement")

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:28:51 CST 2017

Paul:

Yes, "A tack-hammer and a mallet and a sledge hammer are really the same in
function (to hit things), but testing them probably should be differently
appropriate for each type."

This goes back to my basic question - what is the service standard?

Or rather, in fact, what is a stove?

You might remember Tami raising a question about a year ago - how do you
compare efficiencies for stoves that do separate tasks: cook only, heat
only, cook and heat?

Users of biomass fires may add - lighting, mosquito avoidance, adding
smokey taste.

As Crispin pointed out, "heating stoves" is a short-had for stoves that
heat as well as cook. By the same token, cookstoves is short-hand for
stoves that cook and heat (space).

Why, that heat can be a health risk. Which is why, over a year ago, a state
government in India ordered that biomass cookstoves NOT be used during the
times the sun is high (10 am to 5 pm or something).

Conversely, a housewife in New Delhi told me she liked electric induction
stove in the summers because it had no flame and put out less heat around
the stove.

Whose meals are cooked with some standard stoves with standard cooks and
standard foods in standard homes and standard geographies, I wonder.

Nikhil