[Stoves] GLASS for stoves .

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 04:02:09 CST 2017

On 24 December 2017 at 01:51, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Shoes in North America and Europe often have a large glass front window
> because fires are social. 'firelight' and all that.

Yes that's my feeling too

> In Africa people are nervous and uncomfortable if they have a stove
> without a visible fire. In Namibia we had to ensure the cooking stove had a
> visible fire or the San people wouldn't use it.

They won't be keen on electric cooking then?

> The cost of the glass is in the preparation and production. The materials
> are nearly free so I think the cost will remain high. Unless there is a
> miracle formulation.

I'd guess this is so, normal glass is  just silica sand and a bit of lime
to decrease the fusion temperature.

Borosilicate glass, Pyrex brand here in UK , has a much higher melting
point so more expensive, also lower coefficient of expansion, so shock
heating or cooling don't build up internal stress.

I don't know what ceramic glass is nor why ordinary glass is not considered
a ceramic.