[Stoves] Charcoal burning in stoves (was Re: LPG import in India

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sat Dec 30 06:47:00 CST 2017

On 29 Dec 2017 at 9:52, Paul Anderson wrote:

Sorry, I overlooked this part of your Q Paul:

> I understand the grate and the char placement.   What are the walls like
> in this charcoal burner?

The fire is really held at the bottom of a shallow conical dish, which
must also help to reflect heat upwards over a larger area than the
surface area of the fire.  The diameter of the grate is 8.25 inches, and
the height of the cooking surface above the grate, (dia 14in), is 3
inches.

I meant to say that at the end of a cook, any remaining char gets tipped
up into the same biscuit tin I use to save my stove char, so none gets
wasted.

My BBQ is 100% cast iron, but we bought some additional ones recently
where the body was sheet steel and only the grate and grill were cast
iron.  They seem to work just as well.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor