[Stoves] Fuel qualities as the limiting factor, and getting rid of WBT (Was: Frank on helium surrogate)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Feb 4 10:07:52 CST 2017

Dear Ron

>Has this particular anthropologist telling you the facts reported below also asked the community their opinion on the possibility that it is or will soon be possible to make money from the production of charcoal?   And maybe even put that char in their own ground with (maybe, but TBD) 50% improvement in yield?

I think you should give up making rash claims about the benefits of biochar as if it is some kind of fertiliser.

As for the recognition for making charcoal I have already reported that making of charcoal from candle nut shells in Indonesia. This was done using a stove from Dr Nurhuda. The stove was used for cooking.  The char product is strong, high quality charcoal. It is sold as a fuel. No one apparently had even the slightest interest in throwing good fuel into the ground.

That doesn’t mean some would not consider it. I think you’d have to prove there is some good reason to do so. Also, one should be prepared to compare putting the whole shell into the ground (as a fertiliser) not just the char. Agriculture advisors take these comparisons very seriously and are patient before recommending them. Livelihoods are at stake. If it works, no problem.