[Stoves] Experiment in generating light using stove heat

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Feb 11 22:18:05 CST 2017

Dear Friends of Neat Heat

The provision of heat in remote areas is a long term human need. Getting electricity for basic needs is also a prime requirement.

Jeremy and I have been looking at ways to bring light from stoves (and heaters) using relatively low grade sources (below 180 C).

Attached is our experiment using a metal plate as the heat source, a very inexpensive booster, a USB ‎port and a high efficiency LED. The middle photo is illuminated by the output from the generator.

We are using a thermoelectric cooler running backwards. The cost of the three TEC's plus the 5 vdc booster and the HE-LED is about $7.50. The plan is to keep it as cheap as possible, and separate from the stove.

The input temperature can be up to 250 C and we used a pot of water to cool the other side. It lights up the LED bright enough that it requires cooling. We will stick it onto a small rectangle of aluminum sheet.

This choice of components is useful far beyond the provision of light because it was able to charge a BlackBerry Passport ‎and a dual lens infrared camera. We also successfully tried an AAA battery charger. ‎