[Stoves] News: Nigeria cookstoves project

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 11:06:46 CST 2017

Teddy:

I see you raised some concern about a Nigeria project back in 2015. Here
something more:

Reps to investigate Jonathan’s N9 billion ‘Clean Stove Project’
<http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/221460-reps-investigate-jonathans-n9-billion-clean-stove-project.html>
Premium
Times, 24 January 2017.

Says, "contract for the supply of 20 million units of clean stove and
wonder bags under the clean stove scheme for rural women. .. the contract
was at a unit cost of N464.00, amounting to about N9.287 billion."

At the then-exchange rate, that was around US$60 m.

Seems as if the allegation is that only 750,000 stoves were delivered for
distribution, not that all $60 m went missing.

It is noteworthy, though, that "The committees would also determine whether
or not the clean stoves and wonder bags project had assisted in eradicating
desertification in Nigeria."

Fat promises? Irrational exuberance is an old disease of the "stove
sector". Another example - Partnership Cooks Up New Solution to Poverty and
Climate Change
<http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/partnership-cooks-up-new-solution-to-poverty-and-climate-change-116779303.html>
23
Feb 2011. Envirofit claimed, "Clean cookstoves are the most viable solution
to Indoor Air Pollution (IAP), the toxic smoke that claims one life every
16 seconds in the developing world. The partners aim to deliver two million
improved cookstoves to Nigerian households over the next seven years."

It's nearly six years into that seven-year dream, but I don't see anything
on Envirofit website about Nigeria sales, just an office address.

So much for the carbon credit gung ho-ism of C-Quest Capital.

Nigeria is a "Focus Country" for GACC, whose Nigeria webpage
<http://cleancookstoves.org/country-profiles/focus-countries/3-nigeria.html>
shows activities
so far limited to small grants.

Follow-the-Money has a new audio post on Facebook -
https://soundcloud.com/follow-the-money-129876762/followthemoney-discusses-women-cookstoves
.

Naira devaluation has changed cooking economics suddenly http://
tribuneonlineng.com/residents-stop-cooking-gas-resort-coal-stoves-kano/

Nikhil