[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:22:16 CST 2017

Dear all,

I was in contact with Fabio Riva and Francesco Lombardi. They have seen
my emails to the list, and wanted to bring a clarification.

Please find Fabio's email below:

"Dear Xavier,

Thank you very much for having cited our paper in the discussion.
Please, consider this recommendation for the next citations: we do not
actually critic the WBT per se, but the way through which the
practitioners and the literature perform the WBT and report the results.
Indeed, we are perfectly aware that the WBT has many drawbacks and
unresolved issues, but we are still trying to support this in a
scientific way.

With our article “Fuzzy interval propagation of uncertainties in
experimental analysis for improved and traditional three–stone fire
cookstoves" we demonstrated a different problem: so far, the literature
reports mainly data coming from an average of few replicates that can
lead to misinterpreted evaluations of ICSs’ performance if the
uncertainties are not considered. The final goal of the article is
therefore making people aware of the possible errors and
misinterpretations when they do not perform accurate statistical data
processing.

Therefore, the sentence that you have highlighted in the forwarded email
should not be interpreted as “the WBT itself has epistemic uncertainties
that may lead to incorrect ICS’s performance evaluation”, because it is
not actually the result of the work. Rather, the main outcome and result
is this:

“IF you do not consider the WBTs uncertainties (viz. the uncertainties
related to lab replicates performed with the WBT) when you report and
analyse data àTHEN you might misinterpret the real ICSs’ performance”.
So, we are not criticizing the “WBT uncertainties” per se, because it is
normal to have uncertainties when you perform a lab measures (they are
too many in the WBT, true, and they must be urgently limited! but it is
not the point of the article).

This conclusion can be applied to all the protocols that have intrinsic
uncertainties. The reason why we have considered only the WBT-based
tests is because it is the most adopted protocol in the literature and
there are many data available.

I hope it could be clearer now. _I would be grateful if you could
forward this message also to Ron and the bioenergy list_.

Thanks again for the passion and the effort you put for the testing
community.

Best regards,

Fabio"

It is really great to have some insight from them. As I was replying to
Fabio, I don't know if it is at all possible to "fix" the WBT. And doing
this fixing, if it is at all possible, will take a lot of time.
Researchers and testers are very busy with other things, and funders/the
GACC/project implementers want to act now.

Let's be a bit realistic for one second. If nothing is done, testers
will keep using the WBT, and project implementers being project
implementers, they WILL poorly interpret the results. We all know how it
works in international development projects. Some projects are planned
very well and run very smoothly, but let's admit that more often than
not, nothing really goes according to the plan.

Testers and project leaders will hastily test the stoves with a limited
number of iterations because they are already late on the project
planning, or they have limited human resources or funds, not the right
equipment, or the testing consultant is in the country for a short
amount of time. They will think it is good enough. They will take hasty
decisions, and start projects based on very thin evidence. This is
unfortunately how it happens all the time. It's like saying the the
project implementers: here is a car but the brakes are not working well,
don't drive too fast with it. Misinterpretations and misuse of the
results will be done, because the WBT is so easy to misuse. A very solid
protocol is what we need. We need a great tool, a fool-proof tool, a
tool we can rely on.

Another point is that more than a few people have been trying to fix the
WBT for long time, maybe 10 years or more. Maybe since it was invented,
in 1987? Can it be fixed at all? Even "improved", even with a large
number of test iterations, can the WBT give any satisfactory results
leading to good decisions?

But more importantly, even with statistical data processing, 3 big
issues remain with the WBT. Can they be solved at all? Fabio Riva and
Francesco Lombardi admit these 3 issues still remain.

They are not criticizing the WBT per se, in their paper. But I, and many
others, are. Based on their findings, we are criticizing the WBT,
because the WBT allows for easy misinterpretation, the WBT allows large
mistakes to be made. Because in international development projects, and
especially in stove projects, it is so easy to make bad decisions.

Often, researchers and scientists don't take position, because it is,
they think, not their job. Then others in the stove sector have the
responsibility to take a position, and make a choice. I believe their
researches allow us to take that position, and to ask for the promotion
of the WBT to be stopped.

The wisest step, in my opinion, remains to stop using this protocol,
until it is fixed or we definitely move to a better one.

I remind you that you can support the initiative here:
xvr.brandao at gmail.com <mailto:xvr.brandao at gmail.com>
And see other protocols, the HTP and CSI, here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing>

Looking forward to your comments.

Best,