[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon Feb 13 12:43:26 CST 2017

Dear Fabio and Stovers

I have criticized the WBT in the past but after looking at the new directions that is being taken the WBT looks better and better. It does need some changes.

The problems with the WBT:

1) The fuel needs be characterized by its chemical and physical properties - NOT as identification as to Name of the type of wood.

2) We need to remove any calculations regarding to moisture and attempt to normalize the energy value back to dry weight basis. Before that can be done there need be proof that it is a linear fit - very unlikely with this type of system. We can only report ‘with a moisture of 10% this happens” or "with a moisture of 20% this happens”.
2b) There are many energy waste like sides of the combustion chamber, gaps too wide, pot bottom placed to high or low etc. These are considered the same as moisture - something to be optimized and understood.

3)  It needs be understood that the WBT is only an outline for tests that need be done. That is the Task here is boiling water. Using this outline we need to establish different Tasks. Could be; Char making, cooking beans, grill cooking, heating a house, creating light - all types of Tasks. For all we need the same layout.

Regards

Frank

> "Dear Xavier,
>
> Thank you very much for having cited our paper in the discussion. Please, consider this recommendation for the next citations: we do not actually critic the WBT per se, but the way through which the practitioners and the literature perform the WBT and report the results. Indeed, we are perfectly aware that the WBT has many drawbacks and unresolved issues, but we are still trying to support this in a scientific way.
>
> With our article “Fuzzy interval propagation of uncertainties in experimental analysis for improved and traditional three–stone fire cookstoves" we demonstrated a different problem: so far, the literature reports mainly data coming from an average of few replicates that can lead to misinterpreted evaluations of ICSs’ performance if the uncertainties are not considered. The final goal of the article is therefore making people aware of the possible errors and misinterpretations when they do not perform accurate statistical data processing.
>
> Therefore, the sentence that you have highlighted in the forwarded email should not be interpreted as “the WBT itself has epistemic uncertainties that may lead to incorrect ICS’s performance evaluation”, because it is not actually the result of the work. Rather, the main outcome and result is this:
>
> “IF you do not consider the WBTs uncertainties (viz. the uncertainties related to lab replicates performed with the WBT) when you report and analyse data à THEN you might misinterpret the real ICSs’ performance”. So, we are not criticizing the “WBT uncertainties” per se, because it is normal to have uncertainties when you perform a lab measures (they are too many in the WBT, true, and they must be urgently limited! but it is not the point of the         article).
>
> This conclusion can be applied to all the protocols that have intrinsic uncertainties. The reason why we have considered only the WBT-based tests is because it is the most adopted protocol in the literature and there are many data available.
>
> I hope it could be clearer now. I would be grateful if you could forward this message also to Ron and the bioenergy list.
>
> Thanks again for the passion and the effort you put for the testing community.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fabio"
>
> It is really great to have some insight from them. As I was replying to Fabio, I don't know if it is at all possible to "fix" the WBT. And doing this fixing, if it is at all possible, will take a lot of time. Researchers and testers are very busy with other things, and funders/the GACC/project implementers want to act now.

> [...]

Thanks

Frank
Frank Shields
Gabilan Laboratory