[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 18:42:05 CST 2017

Dr.  Bond:

	Thanks for repeating your important question today.

	I have been working on this problem since the 8th (and earlier) - and hope to have a better answer than the following for you soon.

	As you and I discussed at the ETHOS meeting,  I am defending the equation in principle - as telling us a lot about each stove.  I think it should be viewed as a useful metric for establishing tiers.   I don’t view it as giving a useful overall efficiency value - or needing to do so.  That is, if it were an efficiency, its complement should be an inefficiency - and that equation certainly overestimates the inefficiency of any stove.

	For this reason,  I wouldn’t worry if we can’t find a similar situation with a subtraction in the denominator.   I have come up with a different (and defensible) means of specifying (the exact same) tiers from (the exact same) efficiencies in heat transfer and charring (already being determined and reported quite accurately) — that does not involve a subtraction in the denominator.

	I have been discussing this with several knowledgeable stove/other experts - and should have something soon for a larger audience.

	 But I will take up your challenge as well;  I will be looking for metrics - not efficiencies - although efficiencies won’t be excluded.

	There is no need for the Tier structure to be based on an efficiency.  And I consider the Tier structure to be absolutely essential - as was shown in the unanimous (!) vote of 90 persons in the Netherlands in 2012.   I wasn’t there, but would have also voted for Tiers.   We can give up most hope of seeing stove improvement if we discard the Tier structure.

	To repeat - the tier structure does NOT depend on that equation (which can be thought of as giving full credit to heat transfer and partial credit to char-making).  In my opinion, the equation (or its alternative derivation) does reflect (as a defensible metric) a reasonable allocation of values between heat transfer and charcoal-making - both very valuable to society.

	Anyone disagree that a non-efficiency (but useful) metric for tier determination is justifiable?

Ron