[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Bond, Tami C yark at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:41:27 CST 2017

Hi Ron,
I so much appreciate your feedback!

To be clear, I am not looking for other metrics— some have already been proposed in WG1— although your discussions will likely be fruitful and possibly taken up later. I am ONLY, at this time, looking for precedents for defining an energy efficiency or thermal efficiency in the way that has been previously described, with a subtraction in the denominator. Other questions may come later; I believe it’s wise to take one thing at a time— focus helps.

I leave the question of Tiers for further discussion on this list. It is not under discussion (within WG1) at this time, although perhaps it will come later.

Since you were not in The Hague to witness the process of the IWA, I suggest that perhaps you might not want to lean on it as support. No opportunities were offered to modify the IWA document, but only to provide resolutions preceding it. Therefore, even if the assembled company had wished to exclude the Tiers, they would have been unable to do so. The current ISO process has a more thorough discussion, and includes more international stakeholders, than did the IWA, which was largely written only by members of the United States delegation. I encourage you to wait for coming documents before claiming that any particular position is supported by the entire international community.

Regards,

Tami

T. C. Bond - Nathan M. Newmark Distinguished Professor - John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Fellow 2014
U of Illinois: Civil & Environmental Engineering - Atmospheric Sciences (Affiliate) - Women & Gender in Global Perspectives (Affiliate)
publish.illinois.edu/humanenvironments<http://publish.illinois.edu/humanenvironments>; www.hiwater.org<http://www.hiwater.org>

The only problem worth solving is the problem of how we govern ourselves. — Karl Schroeder, Degrees of Freedom