[Stoves] Non-WBT protocol for multi-fuel, multi-stove kitchens?

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:07:50 CST 2017

Found this impressive video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj02OdiBLe4.
 (One word that may not be immediately recognized is "devotees". Nearly
everybody in India is a devotee. We light fires in temples and at all
religious ceremonies, weddings, deaths, and very devotedly contribute to
global climate change and local air pollution.)

Here is a challenge - ISO TC-285 should have testing protocol for
multi-fuel, multi-stove kitchens. These are just charity kitchens in India.
I am hoping to go visit large-scale commercial kitchens - near the White
 House, in various World Bank buildings, and here in various self-help
organizations employing tens and hundreds of women at a time.

Meals are outsourced, have been for decades. Anil Rajvanshi here has been
saying for years now that working poor don't have the luxury to cook three
meals a day. I say the entire increment of food cooking demand in
developing countries in the last 30 years has been met by modern,
large-scale cooking. Best, proven solution to "dirty cooking" (not that all
sweetshops and eateries have "clean cooking"; not yet.) Unlike "biomass
stoves for poor households".

I never quite understood why WHO manufactured Indoor Air Quality Guidelines
for Household Fuel Combustion. If the worry was for indoor air quality, the
document should have covered all exposures and diseases. And it should have
been for all determinants of health, short-term and lifetime (since DALYs
are a lifetime measure for a whole cohort, not just a project-affected
populace over the course of a project, as Ajay would have it).

Plus, emission rates could not be translated into emission loads,
concentrations, and exposures without knowledge of building structures,
mobility. After all, Kirk Smith moved from "indoor air pollution" to
"household air pollution" as if it didn't matter whether the stove was
outside, the kitchen was well-ventilated, or if there were chimneys.

In fact, it made no difference at all whether there was even a stove.
Whatever oxidized a solid fuel of whatever quality - bang, you were
prematurely killed! The Integrated Exposure Response method, combined with
the assumption of equitoxicity, guaranteed that all PM2.5 emissions were
Weapons of Mass Destruction.

The poor vote with their feet and their pockets while experts debate test
protocols and formulae. I suggest starting with commercial and charity
kitchens - or even street hawkers and tea-sellers (Chaiwalla, like my Prime
Minister in early life) instead of obsessing over poor households. Cooking
and kitchens, and home environments, are too varied for standardization.

There are overwhelming advantages to revise IWA and guide ISO testing to
the use of multi-fuel, multi-stove kitchens: a) drop the WHO IAQ Guidelines
for Household Fuel Combustion; b) cooking patterns can be defined much
better, and adjustments to selection of fuels/stoves and to design and
operation of stoves can be much easier; c) large gains in whatever
objectives IWA is clamoring for - avoiding deforestation, reducing GHG
emissions, improving health, women's empowerment - can be achieved rather
quickly; d) the economics of large-scale cooking investments in LPG,
electricity (including for food storage) and bulk food purchases are
favorable, as is financeability; e) medium-scale factories to convert leaf
and tree waste into biochar, some of which used on site and rest sold to
people to cook home meals; and f) women gain employment, free food, and can
be given paid maternity leaves.

Ron: What do you think? Will you put this up for vote at the next ETHOS
conference or TC 285 meeting? Must GACC struggle to reach the hardest
markets for biomass stoves and get hung up on Tier 4 or whatever Kirk Smith
blesses as "truly health protective"? (You know I don't agree with him on
that term; everything affects health, not just hourly stove emission rates,
cooked up into exposures by Dr. Johnson).

Nikhil