[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Wed Feb 15 04:04:12 CST 2017

Dear Ranyee

I find it difficult to credit that "all the participants from about 20
countries went through the entire IWA draft line by line, word by word. "

There is the counter view as given in Crispin's email today "The IWA event
was conducted in the following manner: "We have already agreed in Lima on
what should be in an international test method so all we have to do is
rubber-stamp it and we can go home." That was of course not acceptable as
the Lima event just gave the WBT 4.1.2 the nod without examining it closely
nor correcting the manifold errors. To get our (South Africa - 6 delegates)
agreement, it was critical to have any test method approved by external,
expert reviewers, which obviously had not been done before. This text was
added and we all voted for it. It would be quite incorrect for anyone to
suggest that we approved of the whole content because, for example, the IWA
has 9 performance metrics and the WBT only produced one of them, efficiency,
and calculated that incorrectly."

This tends to confirm Tami's view.

I think the beauty of the ISO process is that we are starting afresh from
first principles and leaving some of the historical baggage behind.  Can we
perhaps forget the IWA?

Prof Philip Lloyd

Energy Institute, CPUT

SARETEC, Sachs Circle