[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed Feb 15 15:46:41 CST 2017

Dear Xavier,

<snip>

> Dear Frank,
>
> "The WBT worked well for the research Dean and others did when establishing gaps and air flow etc."
>
> Maybe it did. Maybe other protocols would have allowed better stoves to be developed, faster.

A true statement. Progress is step by step and what we know now makes what we did then look foolish.

> "It only became a problem when the intent was changed to determine the ‘best’ stove for all uses and places."
>
> This intent has always existed, still exists.

Perhaps it was considering when none other was available. But when it was used for purpose of optimizing gap it was used properly. I consider it still the best test going because it starts with the fuel and ends with a task. This is important. Other procedures start somewhere in the middle and end off on some tangent. WBT being the best doesn’t mean there aren’t a LOT of modifications that need take place.

> "The problem with ‘contextual’ studies ... This will work but not a workable solution to the problem. More years about to be wasted."
> I disagree. Contextual studies are both necessary, and a great investment. They allow as well to find commonalities between regions. There are stoves models that are appropriate across few different geographic areas. I believe this is the case in India for example, in Africa with charcoal stoves. Years are (have been) wasted developing stoves in a lab without trying them, and without improving them on the field.

Stoves are not ‘developed’ in the lab. The purpose of the lab is to receive a stove and test its performance (etc.). I agree with the statement a stoves needs first be developed around the end use. Thats what the 6-Box system is based on. The only part of the 6-Box system that goes into the lab is characterizing the available fuel and testing these parameter limits on the stove.

> "They are valid for the original intent (stove development) but not for extended the usefulness to outside the lab where new variables (uncontrolled) exist."
> I would agree with Crispin's answer.
>
> "Thermodynamics will never work in these small combustion chambers."
> Well, at one point, I think they'll have to. We'll have to understand the inner workings, isolate trends and truths. And so we can make progress on fundamental and applied stove science.

If we test the biomass and test the limits to a stove and they match the cook can then cook up a great meal without ever knowing the energy efficiency of the stove. But I do agree at some point it would be nice to really get into stove development. We have a lot to learn and I agree it is important. I think we have only started in developing exceptional stoves. Its the fuel being the biggest variable that needs attention to.

> "eliminate them and they are answered."
> Eliminating questions when they are relevant is not a good idea. Sweeping problems under the carpet does not make them go away. If ignored, they'll come back to hit us with full force. It is our responsability to work collectively on answering every question, solving every problem.

Agree - if they are relevant. Spending years entertaining engineers trying to get their formulas figured out when they are not in the least bit important to developing and using a biomass stove has been an enormous waste of time IMO. I say lets give them another week.  If they still haven’t figured it out by then we switch over to the ‘Shields 6-Box System’. What do you say?

Regards

Frank Shields

> Best,
>

> Xavier