[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:55:04 CST 2017

Dear Frank,
/
"Agree - if they are relevant."
/Of course, the questions need to be relevant. Let's discuss then the
relevance of these questions. I know first that the question raised by
Fabio Riva, Francesco Lombardi and their colleagues, and that they have,
fortunately for us, started to answer, is very relevant.

Dear Ron,

What you are doing is using an appeal to authority, also called
"argument from prestige":
http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/authority.html

"This person has a great CV, so probably he/she is right". Appeal to
authority is something I don't like, because I think everyone's opinion
matter, as long as they bring a reasonable argumentation. Everyone's
voice counts the same, regardless of the nice CV. Of course, we will
probably trust more the opinion of a doctor in psychology than the one
of a carpenter on psychology questions, and vice-versa. But this is not
the situation here.

And you might not want to go down this road, because if you start to
have a look at Crispin's CV, or Harold Annegarn's, or Philip Lloyd's,
with his degrees in chemical engineering and nuclear physics, you might
become very interested in the work they did on protocols. They did a lot
of work, in their field of expertise.

"there are a few in this dialog who _would_ completely throw five years
of hard work by many out the window., with no intention to ever return."
What you talk about is sunk cost:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

This is very important, because I got this argument already from WBT
supporters, and I am sure it was one of the main arguments in the
discussions at ETHOS. Sunk cost is a very common bias in
decision-making. It is a shame if 5 years of hard work are lost, but
they are already lost. If it is a dead end, it is a dead end, no matter
how many you bang your head on the wall.
What we try to prevent now is other years of wasted efforts. Stop the
bleeding.
Excuse my French, but I'll use a not very elegant but powerful image to
illustrate that: if you have been piling shit for 5 years, you might be
frustrated to get rid of all that shit, because even if it is shit, it
took a long time to make a pile that high. But even if you keep piling
layers and layers of shit on top, it will never turn into a pile of gold.
By the way, do you know how much money was spent improving the WBT?

The sunk cost concept is to start doing the right thing _now_. It is
never too late to do the right thing.

Along those lines, I would like to ask you other questions:

  * How many years of efforts were lost, because of the uncertainty of
    results obtained from the WBT testing?
  * How much money and efforts did stove companies, project leaders
    wasted, because their stove went from one testing center to another,
    with conflicting results?
  * How hindered were they in their mission, which is to solve poverty
    and save lives? Talking about social impact.

I let you ponder on that.

So in fact I'll try to be true, maybe yes, maybe I want to "kill" the
WBT. If it is not fixable, and as I say I doubt it is, and if it does
more harm then good, then yes, it should be "killed".
But now I am just asking to put it aside.

"It seems the WBT is not able to inform us on performance.*[RWL2:
  Please explain further."*

The 10 studies and Crispin explain it well: we are not sure the WBT test
tells us how the stove performs.

/*"a)  affordability (the second item in Dr. Chiang’s list)?  Do you
really wish this in an ISO test?"*/
Not really no, affordability is relative, it should be left to project
leaders, companies, and the end customers to decide what is an
affordable stove. I don't believe there are standards for affordability.
I am not sure I understood your first remark, but what I understood is
that you said: "Dr. Chiang is committed to affordable stoves, so her
work on the WBT, and the WBT as it is now, reflect that". She certainly
is, but so are business and project leaders like Vahid, Camilla,
Mouhsine or Sujatha, and they certainly each have spent much more time
working on these issues.

*"I see _NO_ other way to inform on performance."
*HTP and CSI, and a few other protocols.*

***"There is an ongoing (even today) WG3 discussion on field testing*"
*Field testing with the right protocols, sure, because it is contextual
and provides a much more accurate picture.

"*Are you fundamentally opposed to any test placing stoves into 9 [more
or less] tiers?*"
No. It is practical to have tiers, a bit like energy ratings for
refrigerators or light bulbs.
I am opposed to that if it is scientifically invalid, like it seems to be.
**
*"And where are you on including charcoal output in the reporting of
performance?"*

I have no strong opinion on that. Tami and Crispin present convincing
arguments. I agree with you it should be reported, for sure, but in a
scientifically correct way.

"*b) context?   This is the purview of WG3 - field testing."*

Sure, but it is not the purview of the WBT, that's one of the problems
with it.*
*

"*shipping?   I doubt you can find any ISO test procedure that includes
shipping as an issue."
*I am not talking about shipping, I am talking about developing a stove
by using the WBT for months, and one day having this stove being used
for real, by real local cooks, in a completely different geographical
and cultural context. Surprise, surprise.**This is where you get the
first interesting**results.Contextual testing, even when performed in a
different location, limits the surprise.

*Don’t you agree that all the above are best left to the companies and
individuals selling stoves, not those involved in lab (or field) testing?
*Ideally, but in reality the companies and individuals, to whom I will
add the large international development and humanitarian organizations,
are very short on time and staff, and under a lot of pressure. And they
are not scientists (they've been told that well enough). And they don't
have the equipment. So they delegate the testing to organizations they
trust.**The organizations they**trust must provide them testing results
that can give a fair (it is never perfect) idea of how their stove will
perform for their context. The WBT does not allow that.

/*"3)  usability, and */
/*4)  access to a broad range of technology */
/*and fuel opportunities.”*/
//

*I contend, mostly from several stays at Aprovecho, that lab testing
using the WBT, can give great insight on these as well."
*4 maybe, 3 certainly not.**This is probably the worst one.As users
often say, while laughing, when we ask them to just boil water: "no one
does that!". They think we are these kind of eccentric westerners.
Contextual testing is the only thing that can give insight on usability.
Usability is one of the most if not the most important aspect when
making a stove for a customer.

*RWL4:  Clearly the present protocol is limited to boiling/heating
water.  Are you urging that every lab adds roti testing?  Don’t you
think that stoves used in part for roti-making sometimes also heat water?
*I don't ask for a protocol for each dish, I ask for a contextual
protocol flexible enough so you get valid results whatever the dish is.
The HTP and CSI do that.
**
Frank very well mentioned this idea of making progress, and I would also
really like to highlight this important point.
The world is turning, the world is progressing. Other fields of activity
evolve, their practices change, what they do one given year differ from
what they did the previous year. This is called "progress".
It shouldn't be any different for the stove sector.

It is perfectly understandable that a testing protocol dating from,
what, 1987?, becomes obsolete and stops being used.

Testing centers will remain testing centers, testers will remain
testers, they will still be needed, they will just evolve.
As far as I know, no one is married to the WBT.

Note that I don't have interests in the HTP and CSI. These protocols can
be used, or other ones that are better, it doesn't really matter to me.
The only important thing is that we are able to test our stoves and
understand how they perform, so we can improve them, and serve our
customers.

Best,

Xavier