[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed Feb 15 20:07:38 CST 2017

Dear Ron,

Just a quick comment:

you say:

	This is not to say that affordability knowledge will not come out of lab testing.  In fact it is the only way to make comparisons and claims on meal, daily, weekly, monthly and annual costs.  But costs should not be an output from a lab test.  Sales people know that world well - and it will vary all over the place.

A goal should be to make all stove developers able to present their stove into the market equal to everyones else. That would be to have them send their stove into a lab where the fuel limits are determined for their stove. That done once and paper carrying test results included with the stove. No other tests done on the stove in the lab. Cooking tests and acceptance and air quality tests done in the field (I am now thinking). We just need to know what type of fuel the stove is designed to use and the limits so to match stoves with the available wild biomass on site. And any preparation requirements on the wild biomass needed for each stove.

I once saw a graph that i think would work but now cannot find it. It looked like a spider web. Each spoke was a condition (moisture, volatile fraction, ash, carbon density, length to width ratio, size distribution, etc.). The stove leaves the lab with one of these reports. The onsite wild biomass is semi-prepared and has its own sheet. Place one on top of the other and if the stove values fall within the wild biomass values the stove will work for that fuel.

So this test package is done once on the stove and once on the wild biomass. That should be affordable. As to the added field work done to compare different stoves onsite for acceptance and cleanliness - well that could cost a lot of money. Who will pay for that? If left to the stove developer then it will end up being only the chosen privileged given the opportunity.

Thanks Ron for all you do.

Regards

Frank

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> 	This is not to say that affordability knowledge will not come out of lab testing.  In fact it is the only way to make comparisons and claims on meal, daily, weekly, monthly and annual costs.  But costs should not be an output from a lab test.  Sales people know that world well - and it will vary all over the place.

Thanks

Frank
Frank Shields
Gabilan Laboratory