[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT (Xavier, Frank)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:57:32 CST 2017

Ron:

Thank you for correcting my misimpression. So long as WBT - of whatever
type, VITA, Berkeley, Indian, Chinese - is seen as a work in progress with
serious misgivings about methods, reproducibility, predictability and with
no official standing as to the test protocols or equipment or operator
qualifications, certification authority, you and are on the same page. (I
hope you are not surprised.)

If I understand Xavier correctly, he is only asking for a halt and an end
to GACC "support", in anywhich way.

I don't think GACC - a private unregistered entity - has no standing of any
"official recognition" in the US. I also do not think ARC test protocols or
test laboratory is - even can be - approved by EPA for any solid fuel cook
stove testing in the US. I can't tell if GACC has "legal custody" of the
VITA WBT in any sense; PCIA did not have the legal authority to give GACC
such a "legal custody" or anoint WBT or any test lab as an "approved" item.
If GACC has indeed been demanding use of WBT and Approvecho testing
equipment as a condition of financial support, that's probably scandalous.

I am wholly sympathetic to your complaint "these lower tier stoves could
move higher in the Tier rankings". This is much more the case, I suspect,
with the PM2.5 emission rates than with efficiencies.

I have no idea how the IWA Tiers came to be defined and specific numbers
assigned. It is the PM2.5 target for Tier 4 that will be the death knell
for solid fuel cooking in households. (I can only rejoice that 500 million
households of the world are beyond the reach of Cooking Cops.)

(You and I differ on the relevance of efficiencies, but our disagreement is
irrelevant to whether a test does what it claims to do. My view on char is
simply that "cooking task" itself is an ill-defined concept and
ridiculously turned into mere boiling of water. Cooking extra and putting
it aside for later use is embedded energy just as char is just as leaving a
piece of wood unburned.)

The fundamental problem with all these tests is fixing too many variables -
and levels of PM2.5 emission rates - of relevance to cooks and instead
pleasing the professoriat. A "fuel free", "cook free", stove test is simply
"brain free".

I hope you soon sort out the equations for efficiency and help us out with
the PM2.5 measurements.

Nikhil

Nikhil

---------