[Stoves] Haiti: GACC 3; LPG and TLUDs

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 3 23:00:19 CST 2017

Stovers,

Nikhil wrote:
> As for India, a "qualified household" gets an LPG "connection" from
> one of the LPG suppliers and is entitled to a per month subsidy for a
> 14 kg cylinder. That is, if all works according to design, the
> customer is ensured of subsidized LPG supplies up to 14 kg a month.
> This scheme began more than 50 years ago, no thanks to any public
> health reports and aDALY computations. Last I checked, subsidy levels
> varied by state and by consumer, but about $10 a month or $120 a year.
> ***
A subsidy of $120 per year and for many years is not a good investment
for the Indian govenment.  For $40 once for the stove plus $10 per YEAR
to guarantee that the stove stays in use, the people in many areas can
be using renewable dry biomass fuels AND be generating 4 carbon credits
per year AND create jobs for the fuel suppliers AND have about 1/3rd ton
of charcoal that is the byproduct of the cooking process.

THAT is a good investment, in my opinion.

Nikhil also wrote:
> For a third of LPG distribution costs, perhaps three times as much
> cooking could be delivered by TLUD stoves but the proof of "usable and
> used" is still missing.
CORRECTION:  The proof of "usable and used" TLUD stoves is no longer
missing.   The Deganga, India, TLUD stove project documentation
(availiable for several months now at
http://drtlud.com/deganga-tlud-project-2016      ) is a great example
with 12,000 stoves IN USE DAILY. Confirmed by monitoring associated with
the carbon credits.   (If you have not read this report, please do so.)

And this can be accomplished in Haiti also IF GIVEN THE CHANCE. But if
support goes to LPG and others, there will be needless delays to show
the big impact.   Why do people continue to ignore what the TLUD stoves
can do regarding fuel efficinecy, diverse biomass fuels, creating
charcoal (either for burning or for biochar into soils), and even being
financed by carbon credits, and having the lowest bad emissions of any
solid fuel stoves, and local activities instead of importation.  Whether
in Haiti or India or Nepal or Uganda or anywhere with some biomass
supplies, TLUDs in sufficient numbers to reach "critical mass" should be
put into use WITH THE EDUCATIONAL USER SUPPORT as done in Deganga and
now into Darjeeling District of India.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com