[Stoves] Sun Buckets: off topic news, introduction

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 4 13:15:49 CST 2017

The Chinese have low cost solar cookers made from cast concrete with small mirrors glued on to them. There were about 300,000 of them installed in western China ( Gansu province)  when I was working on rural development programs there about 12 years ago. At the time they were about $40. . The Chinese government was supporting  the parabolic solar  systems as well as $150 biogas cooking systems. The solar parabolics if I remember provided about 18% of household energy needs and mainly were used for boiling potatoes and pre-heating hot water for wheat/lentil noodles their freshly made main daily staple. The woks ran on biomass or biogas. The noodles were so delicious.

See the 11 minute mark of this video to see how hot they got concentrated solar hitting the pot to make it glow.It was pretty impressive how well they worked.  So its really only the sunbucket needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XWyASyyko

regards

roger