[Stoves] Peanut oil cooker?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Jan 6 14:54:32 CST 2017

It was a project of apprentices who worked at Mercedes. It used solar panels to store heating a tank of peanut oil. That stove could then cook at night (in theory) heated by the oil. It was big, beautiful, expensive, and a thermodynamic failure because it was not possible to make the heat transfer fast enough to ‘boil’ in the normal sense. It could bring water to 100C.

I was involved in rescuing them and making them function and ‘seeing what the problem was’. They arrived in Swaziland years ago after spending some time in Durban.

Crispin:

You mentioned a "peanut oil cooker" by Mercedes. What is that?

If it is the car company, I can imagine diesel engines running on peanut oil. Where David Stein was, there were at least three top engineers tinkering with coconut oil and diesel made from it. And then there was one who knew coconut agronomy and the Pacific Islander culture deeply; he had been a boat mechanic for over a decade and knew so many islands!

Nikhil