[Stoves] Peanut oil cooker?

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:50:45 CST 2017

In 1976 we experimented with such a stove at University of Florida (it was
an M.Tech thesis at UF). The peanut oil was heated by solar concentrator
and then circulated in an oven. The experiment failed though the guy got
his ME! The reason for failure was that at high temperatures all the
vegetable oils break down and their thermophysical properties go hay wire.
We even tried using nitrogen atmosphere and pressurization but that did not
work. This was funded by DOE and I am sure there must be a thesis somewhere.

Nowadays with excellent high temperature oils used in CPC we should have a
viable solar cooking system. There are limitations of sizing in all such
systems. For a household it will not work since two-three days of cloudy
weather will make this system non-operational. Bigger units will have
bigger heat storage capacity and that might be useful.

All the best.

Anil K Rajvanshi

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-220945/222842