[Stoves] Domestic stoves, air pollution and health ==> Back to basics

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:57:09 CST 2017

Harold:

Thank you. I agree with your statement of "fundamental error" and that
there has been "a grave perversion of sound science, technology and
regulation to try and conflate two or more of the above four stages into a
single standard. "

Domestic stoves are just a special case; EPA's "mercury rule" and "clean
power plan" are among other examples of what pervert scientists can do to
conflate emissions and health (or global change and personalizing it).
Stove designers and proponents shouldn't feel alone.

I hope you tell me about my misrepresentations of science and the
scientific method; I too am not alone.

I know of the science and regulatory history of air quality as they have
evolved in the US. I also hope this thread attracts others who can tell of
other countries. Apart from "large source" (power plant) regulations, I
know nothing about other countries.

And when it comes to "small source" regulations in developing countries, I
doubt there is much at all, except for anecdotal instances of shutting down
industrial estates or home businesses. (Just started reading some material
on South Africa by Patrick Bond.)

My view is, WHO and EPA are on to shocking abuses of science -- declaring
"IAQ Guidelines" and then doing WBTs in labs to develop "international
standards" for efficiency and emission rates of household cookstoves (via
what I call the "box paradigm") -- because there is little air quality
science for the poor, even less for the causality between domestic stoves
and disease incidence in the poor.

And evidently little capacity or incentive or courage to challenge this
charade.

I imagine South Africa to be one place where domestic stoves, air
pollution, and health may have been systematically studied - without
meddling by Gateses, Clintons, and Wirths - and technological, regulatory
alternatives explored. (I have done a bit of poverty tourism in Soweto and
a distant settlement, and also did some research into solar water heating
in South Africa, but didn't read any science.)

****
"I will tempt you to doubt, ye even deny, and ask for the evidence."?
Sounds like something from C S Lewis' The Screwtape Letters!

As a devout Hindu, it is my duty to slay sacred cows.

***************
Apart from the Pope, et al. *Lung Cancer, Cardiopulmonary Mortality, and
Long-term Exposure to Fine Particulate Air Pollution
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&retmode=ref&cmd=prlinks&id=11879110>
*piece,
authors and contributors of Burden of Disease exercise readily and
consistently caution against abuse of their own work.

Dr. Pope is an economist, not a physical scientist, and his work is not
without controversy. See this Science piece from 2013 -  House Panel
Subpoenas EPA for Air Pollution Data
<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/08/house-panel-subpoenas-epa-air-pollution-data>
(Disclaimer:
I don't support House GOP subpoenas for science research data any more than
I support NY AG's subpoenas to Exxon-Mobil and CEI for their internal
documents.) NIH Associate Director of Science Policy also cautions, in Burden
of Disease and NIH Funding Priorities
<https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2015/06/19/burden-of-disease-and-nih-funding-priorities>
 (2015)

"NIH’s Office of Extramural Research and Office of Science Policy *collaborated
on an exploratory analysis*, which you can see on our new burden of disease
page <http://report.nih.gov/info_disease_burden.aspx> on RePORT. This page
illustrates how NIH funding levels relate to U.S. and global deaths and
disability-adjusted life years (DALYs)—a measure that quantifies the number
of healthy years of life lost due to morbidity or premature mortality
caused by disease. *This analysis comes with several caveats,* however, and
more information can be found via the methodology link on the disease burden
<http://report.nih.gov/info_disease_burden.aspx> page." (emphasis added)

I have read some other work by Dr. Pope - and some other HSPH luminary
whose name I forget - on particulate pollution and general health damage
figures on coal combustion. There is quite a bit of "theology by
cite-o-logy", the assumption being that few readers would have read or read
citations and those who do are within the tent of the faithful or can be
admonished to keep family skeletons in the closet.

My simple point is, our friends at ISO/IWA have been duped by WHO and EPA,
via GACC, et al., the private sector opportunists who specialize in
derivatives like $/aDALY. (I tinkered with that 15 years ago. I am trying
to remember an Enron man 20 years ago in London who used to fly over every
now and then to discuss tradeable permit scheme for acidic emissions and
CO2. That bandwagon led to the casualties of carbon finance, but at least
there was governmental or intergovernmental oversight on calculations with
a legal basis. This $/aDALY business is purely poverty adventurism.)

*****************
I take exception to only one of your statements:

"That some individuals may have used the term EQUITOXICITY in this sense,
is not intended to be taken literally. To rail against the term is to set
up a straw man argument..."

*** I am afraid this is naive. Equitoxicity is not "loose lips". It is
officially assumed in EPA analyses; I wrote about this in late September on
this list - on a piece on EPA and another piece on Burnett et al. (2014).
This official assumption is necessary, in my view to make use of prior
long-term research with very different composition of particulates --
larger size particulates and SO2 in particular. Now that the concentration
- and exposures - of those in urban air in US and other rich countries have
declined, regulatory zeal (and science funding in support of such zeal)
REQUIRES the assumption of equitoxicity. Because only then people like
Pope, et al. can claim that prior long-term studies are still useful for
exposure-response ratios.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify. Scientists are honest enough --
read Burnett, et al. or Kirk Smith in their journal articles - to recognize
(as does NIH) that their work to date is extremely restrictive due to the
limitations of data and methods. It is WHO and EPA who have cooked up the
hysteria over PM2.5 generally. Not that it has mattered a hoot in terms of
controlling ambient air pollution in Beijing or Delhi, Bishkek or Tehran,
and I suppose Durban or Mexico City. In the case of stoves, I reckon the TC
285 folks also require WBT, because otherwise PM2.5 emissions from foods
will interfere with their claims about "health protective" emission rates.

[The presumed "link" between emission rates, IAQ, and purported divergence
from WHO "IAQ Guidelines" is a house of cards. More on that below. Nigel
Bruce fooled stovers.]

**************
I have read Dr. Bruce's work on-and-off since around 2000. I think he is an
advisor to EPA, BAMG, or WHO (where he used to work) on this game of
"emissions to aDALYs". I suggest you begin with the documents at the ISO
International Workshop on Clean and Efficient Cookstoves, in particular the
presentation by Dr. Bruce (my comments between three asterisks) :

   -  "Lack of access to clean, safe energy in home: Indicator: solid fuel
   use (SFU) for cooking"

*** SFU was the DEFINITION for unclean and unsafe. Creating a problem by
definition is not science, it's theology. ***

   - "Health Outcomes: Child pneumonia • Chronic obstructive lung disease
   (COPD) • Lung cancer (coal)
   - Burden: 1.96 million premature deaths (2004)"

*** This is where theology gets covered up in models. There is no
particular relationship between "Health outcomes" and "Burden" (of
disease). This is the sleight of hand of the IHME gang of "super-humans".
There is absolutely no basis to link any particular "premature death" to
SFU. By the jiggery-pokery of converting SFU (via fictional assumptions
utterly non-existent measures of fuel quantity and quality or emission
rates in "WHO Database") into Household air pollution (HAP) and then the
hocus pocus of "relative risk", deaths are cooked up. It is simply a LIE to
label "health consequences" and put disease outcomes and "premature deaths"
together. A layman would think that X premature deaths were caused by child
pneumonia caused by household air pollution; NOT SO.  But WHO/IHME cooked
up even more such numbers for 1990, 2005 and 2010. This is science in the
service of regulatory fervor. ***

   - "Exposure-response relationship"

*** This is modeled nonsense. ***

   - "WHO Guidelines will provide key evidence:

 – Note process & timeframe in IWA
– Incorporate new evidence as standards evolve"

_____________________
This is how the IWA folly was ratonalized. Under the "guidance" of GACC and
PCIA.

This is how deceit and dumbness met. The marriage of the glib (WHO, GACC,
EPA) and the gullible (ISO, GIZ, ANSI, all the "stove experts").

Also on that website you will find signatories of "Lima Consensus". Just
how much these luminaries could lay claim on the experiential as well as
bookish knowledge of the diversity of solid fuel supply systems, cooking,
individual health characteristics, or even stoves is worth reflecting. As
far as I can tell, these people were all duped. (I am sure many of them are
on this list. Would love to hear their views on how many premature deaths
they hope to reduce by 2020, 2030, 2050, 2070.)

All that to what end?

"Advantages of Tiers and Performance Indicators
 • Stepped Tiers
 – Differentiate performance
– Demonstrates improvement possible and desirable
 • Different Performance Indicators
 – Reflect the strengths and weaknesses of individual stoves
– Allow governments and programs to evaluate priorities"

I wonder if all of this was to the satisfaction of the invited "clean
cooking sector" (an idiotic phrase) experts (if that).

Who was to judge on "Indoor Air Quality" Tiers, and on what basis? WHO
"guidelines" of mysterious provenance, and EPA/BAMG "box models"?

I submit cooking food is about a different chemistry altogether -- tastes
and smells.

I think too many people have been in this masquerade ball. They need to
come out and reveal their knowledge of solid fuel cooking and heating, of
people they claim to protect. (I have known some such people but won't
reveal my knowledge!)

ISO was fooled. ISO guidelines on clean cookstoves could save lives, reduce
injuries and pollution <http://www.iso.org/iso/news.htm?refid=Ref1609>
Elizabeth
Gasiorowski-Denis 28 June 2012:

"With open fires and traditional cookstoves causing millions of injuries
and deaths annually, a new document from ISO represents a major first step
towards defining criteria for clean, efficient and safe cookstoves."

GACC CEO is quoted,

"The ISO IWA represents a significant step forward in global efforts to
scale up clean cookstoves and fuels as it provides guidance for rating
cookstoves on four performance indicators: fuel use, total emissions,
indoor emissions, and safety. Standards can give stove makers affirmation
of product quality, let users know they are making a worthwhile investment,
and drive industry innovation."

And Mrs. Clinton:

"“People have cooked over open fires and dirty stoves for all of human
history, but the simple fact is they are slowly killing millions of people
and polluting the environment.. But today, because of technological
breakthroughs, new carbon financing tools, and growing private sector
engagement, we can finally envision a future in which open fires and dirty
stoves are replaced by clean, efficient, and affordable stoves and fuels
all over the world – stoves that still cost as little as USD 25”

The burden of proving their claims is upon ISO/GACC, not you and me. I
stand by my assertions - that the empresses have no clothes.

Sinners can always repent. You and I could start a religion of skeptics.
Wouldn't that be loverly?

Nikhil

---------