[Stoves] Save80 stoves in Lesotho

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Jan 8 15:14:26 CST 2017

Dear Friends

This stove from Christian Kock has not been obtainable in small quantities. It shows up here

http://www.dpdhl.com/en/media_relations/media_library/fotos/climate_protection_project_lesotho.print.html

in a carbon offset scheme, I believe on the voluntary market.

Notice the fat coppiced tree in the background of the first photo providing sustainably harvested fuel wood.

The Save80 comes with a very tough retained heat cooker RHC that accepts only the pot that comes with the stove. The stove, pot and RHC are tapered to the bottom.  You can see it is a sunken pot stove.  Maybe you could stick in a tiny regular pot without handles. Anyway it is a cooking solution usually provided only to the UN and Red Cross.

Christian told me he studied the Vesto for a year trying to come up with a way of saving more fuel than 70%. The method he came up with is was to provide one 35mm diameter hole through which all fuel must be passed. This sort of intermittent feeding of small amounts of fuel leads to fuel efficiency. I have never had one to test for emissions. I believe the combination of stove and RHC can indeed reduce fuel consumption 80% over a typical open fire baseline.

Note that this is not an emissions project, it is a carbon offset project. I can't prove when it started, but it was not after 2013 because the article I found referencing it was written in 2013. I believe each package is about $80, usually in full containers only.