[Stoves] Paper on fire-break wood and its use as a domestic fuel (2008)

Dan Dimiduk carefreeland at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 07:25:16 CST 2017

These problems have been solved before. Chip the brush, set up portable pellet makers at landing sites in the woods. Or, portable gasifiers, or leave the larger branches and trees for local folks to come get " at their own risk". Here in Ohio we recently purged State parks of dying ash trees from the ash borer firestorm. Professionals dropped the trees and the public was invited to take the wood at their own risk. Thousands of cords of wood were salvaged as heating fuel. Only the trees that were in open areas or threatened roads were cut. Still lots of dead trees out in the woods. The woodpeckers are multiplying like crazy and starting to catch up with the borer. Just a few years ago at an Ohio State pesticide conference, they said there was no sign of woodpeckers eating Borers. Nature adapts. I'm more worried about the 200 year old White Oaks and the Asian bark Beatle.