[Stoves] Carbon credits for biochar

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 9 00:50:44 CST 2017

Frank, Stovers, and Charists.

I am responding to Frank's question that is below.

No carbon credits are given for biochar because that is the way the
current carbon credit system is structured for that Deganga project
(link is given below).  That is beyond the control of that project.

HOWEVER, I am organizing a similar Champion TLUD stove project in East
Darjeeling District, West Bengal, India (exactly on the border with
Bhutan).  That project has new rules about its carbon credits. And I am
stating that the incorporation of biochar into soils is eligible for
carbon credits.  I will be presenting this at the ETHOS session Saturday
evening 28 January. in the Seattle area.

Note:  Carbon credits are essentially an intangible commodity that can
be linked to specific acts, such as the irreversible, scattered burial
of appropriate carbon into soil.  Will someone pay to have that
char-burial (making it unburnable) occur?   THAT is the same as paying
for voluntary carbon credits.

When (not if) that "unburnableness" of char is possible in a reasonably
documented manner, would someone pay for that to happen? I think that
some people will A) pay for the carbon-negative burial of the equivlaent
of 1 tCO2; or B) pay to have biochar into soil; or C) pay to accomplish
both A and B; or D) pay as a donation to a real biochar project in an
impoverished country; or E) pay for any other reason (such as "they like
Paul Anderson.")

It takes about 250 kg (quarter ton) of dry un-treated (raw) biochar to
make 1 tonne CO2eq., and that amount of char comes from 1 TLUD stove
used daily in one household during one year (based on India field data,
not just laboratory calculations).  I think that such an amount that is
PERMANENTLY SEQUESTERED should be worth TWO carbon credits, but that
will need to be debated and resolved.

I intend to place that amount of char on the market for US$20, being the
price for EITHER one Biochar Credit or two Carbon Credits.  I think that
is a fair price.   What do you think?  Can the price be higher?

The East Darjeeling project will also be selling single Carbon Credits
for $10.

Will anyone purchase it (as 2 carbon credits and they do not care about
the char as long as it is made unburnable) (or as one biochar credit)
and donate it to a serious biochar project in the local area?

THAT is a serious question.   And I ask it to everyone who is reading
this email.  $20 for biochar.  And there will be tens of thousands of
those "Biochar Credits" every year.

Remember, this is BOTH a Biochar Listserv topic (obviously) AND a Stoves
Listserv topic (as it relates to how to finance the stoves that we want
to disseminate.)   To be discussed on the lists separately.

I will be discussing this further, providing information as fast as I
can.  I will see your responses, but I have work to do and will let
others lead the discussions / debates.     (Please be sure that all
discussants have read the Deganga TLUD report.   Otherwise, the above
statements and their comments will not make sense.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com