[Stoves] Biomass power, cookstoves, and disruptive technologies

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 15:23:17 CST 2017

Roger,  List and ccs

	Roger:   It appears you may have sent your message only to Nikhil, but I respond since it probably has some important stove aspects.

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 9:42 AM, Traveller <miata98 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Roger:

	<long snip>

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Roger Samson <rogerenroute at yahoo.ca <mailto:rogerenroute at yahoo.ca>> wrote:
> Nikhil

		<short snip>

>  I have been following solar energy research as a means  to better understand how plants can more efficiently intercept sunlight for my biomass grass plant breeding program. The solar PV researchers are making most of their efficiency gains through texturing and coatings to improve sunlight utilization (In my biomass grasses I breed for striated leaves and glaucous bloom-the dusty blue texturing you see on cabbage leaves).

	[RWL1:  stove fuel question #1.   In the belief that switchgrass and other grasses may be quite good for stoves in developing countries, could you give us more leads on this leaf texture topic.  Are we talking of a 10% difference in NPP?

		<longer snip - leading to the “Research Gate” full free book on switch grass>

> regards
> Roger
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roger_Samson2 <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roger_Samson2>
> (you can see my grass breeding work here)

	[RWL2:  Thanks for making your recent book available for free.  I learned a lot about switchgrass.

	My second stove related question is whether the “chopped” material would work in a TLUD.  Placing long stems vertically can be a problem if a spark can fall to the bottom.  Is chopped switchgrass of 4 cm length the usual way one buys switchgrass?  Might this fuel require a fan/blower ?

RWL3:  My third switchgrass question relates to whether you have any favorite article on the benefits of biochar made from switchgrass.   There are plenty of articles;  I’m looking for a favorite - especially as might relate to biochar resulting from switchgrass use in improved cook stoves for developing countries.

Thanks in advance.

Ron