[Stoves] Biomass power, cookstoves, and disruptive technologies

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 9 16:45:26 CST 2017

Hi Ron
Yes I don't know why my stoves account messages don't always go to all on the list. I will sign in to make another account when I get a moment.

This was a 2012 presentation we made at Ethos that explained the grass fuel option.
We made that fuel for a rice hull cooker.
http://ethoscon.com/pdf/ETHOS/ETHOS2012/SunPM/Ouellet_Payeur_Evaluation_Chopped_Grass_AlternativeFuel.pdf
The grass fuel option for the MAYON TURBO (nice combustion flame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbmD2J9qQA

Presently we are working on high value agri-food markets  for our grasses in Canada. This includes using switchgrass as a hygienic bedding (its low in N limited growth of bacteria compared to wheat straw) and then using it in a cascading application so the manure/switchgrass straw goes into a biogas digester(ie its a free feedstock) so biopower might just be viable after all but never in a dedicated use. As a dedusted horse bedding or poultry bedding it might have its highest value.... maybe $250/tonne.

Here is a soon to be released video of the dedusted grass product in Canadian livestock and poultry  bedding applications.
Biomass Bedding video link: https://youtu.be/C50m987jy14

I think this grass straw material in the plastic bale could be burned in a TLUD or as part of a fuel mix for a TLUD. In developing countries the concept would be to harvest and shred the grass and use the dedusted fraction for livestock feed. Of course the dedusted product could be done quite simply but care must be taken not to over expose rural workers to herbaceous biomass dust. Typically a grass like switchgrass is 40% leaves but this dedusted residual  material might be 3/4 leaves as they are the most  prone to breakage (short weak fibres). I would then like to see the dedusted product soaked to release the potassium and then dried or you might run into potassium/chlorine corrosion problems. Any body have any funds we could pilot this concept in the Mayon Turbo (which is in effect a gasifier) and TLUD's.

regards
Roger Samson
www.reap-canada.com