[Stoves] Domestic stoves, air pollution and health ==> Back to basics

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:50:28 CST 2017

Dear Cecil:

Thank you. Ethnographic methods are slowly coming into analyses of US
electoral behavior, and GACC may be interested in research on how political
fuels burn, cleanly or otherwise.

I have seen how external technical advisors can work with "indigenous
fabricators" to arrive at "disruptive cooking technologies" -- charcoal
stoves and Mirt mtads in Addis Ababa 1992-94.

If I may paraphrase you, I think I would use the title of the World Bank
presentation on Indonesia cookstoves study that you helped with -
"Contextual Design and Promotion of Clean Biomass Stoves".

Not just cookstoves, all industrial product design and promotion is
"contextual", even though some fail.

The context defines the cultural dimension -- not just foods but also other
household and social practices. These cultural dimensions need not be taken
as permanent; indeed, the successful designer is one who figures out where
the status quo can be given a nudge or two and the system disrupted, taken
to another tentative equilibrium.

***
That said, not all stoves are cultural constructs and tools, household
cookstoves the most so, and dual-purpose or heating stoves less so. Beyond
that - i.e., in commercial and large-scale cooking (which is what kitchens
did in palaces and estates for centuries) - much less so.

And for liquid and gaseous fuels, even household stoves are not that
culturally specific in design, just in use patterns. The Swedish Primus
kerosene stove has been around for over a century and adopted worldwide; I
think I even saw a Primus LPG burner in Port Vila, Vanuatu ten years ago.

But food is always the paramount cultural construct. Even when it is
machine-processed and delivered Campbell's Soup or a paper bowl of ramen
noodles.

Unlike 50 years ago, the "stove experience" for "cooking" is now quite
narrow - variety of devices and foods - except at the very top - who have
the luxury to cook (not Hillary who says she is a lousy cook) or hire a
cook AND can afford a wide variety of primary foods.

The "poorest" - those who suffer food, water, and shelter insecurities the
worst - have little or no experience of the variety of stoves, different
functionalities, leave alone foods. There is no "particular baseline
traditional stove" and there is indeed no baseline nutrition nor much asset
base - financial, physical or human capital. If at all, as David Stein
pointed out, there is a diet change in this group - a shift to rice.
(Because it is easier to cook, IWA may take note.)

**************

Unlike last Century, "energy and development" in this Century is a
challenge of those left behind for generations as others advanced, keeping
up their securities and advancing a little or a lot.

If they are now in the bottom two quintiles, it is because their share in
the total has grown, in turn because their fertility rates and gains in
infant, child, and maternal mortality reductions have been the highest. (We
don't have Census data by income groups, so this is my assumption based on
understanding migration data over the years).

That is, the top three quintiles had greater opportunity to both adopt
technologies and gain advantage out of it, be it electricity or LPG and
such. Now the real bottom quintile is not amenable to last Century's
methods and patience.

***
For decades, the intellectual obsession with "renewable biomass" has been a
moral crime against the poor.

Now the intellectual obsession with "clean" is sure to prove another moral
crime against the poor. (Not just stoves, even the mania against coal
power.)

The poor will not be surprised at all. They have seen it all before.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831