[Stoves] A debate about "efficiencies"..... was Re: ABCEG deceit and conceit

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 23:25:10 CST 2017

Paul:  cc list and Crispin

	See inserts below (I lost a full response - so this may be too condensed.)

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 7:36 PM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Ron and Crispin,   (your two messages are below).   Subject line changed to reflect the content.
>
> All is in reference to:
>>
>> an important stove reporting equation of the form e3 = e1 / (1- e2).
>
> I am not great at such equations.   But it seems to me that the letter  e    is used both as   efficiency   and as    energy.     Whatever.  That is not my key point.
	[RWL:  I see them as equivalent.  More below on that.

> Rather,
>
> Both sides have their appropriate strong points.
> 1.  Biomass fuel is consumed, and any remaining charcoal is NOT the same as the original fuel.  So, 100% of the original fuel is gone.  —Crispin is correct about FUEL efficiency.
	[RWL:  Not understanding your comment.  Can you cite a specific Crispin sentence you support?

	My objection is to the “never”in this Crispin sentence that I objected to earlier today in my first message:  The error in the WBT is to deduct something from the denominator. This was never correct. The fuel fed is the fuel fed, not something less. Char produced as a co-benefit goes in the top line, not deducted from the bottom.

> 2.  The charcoal is different from the biomass fuel, but it is still a viable, usable form of energy that came directly from the original biomass.  So there needs to be some recognition of its ENERGY value.   (If the char has other, non-energy value (such as being good for filters), and may or may not be eventually consumed as energy, that is NOT part of this discussion.)
	[RWL:  Agreed.  But I think Crispin is objecting to counting charcoal production at all when the intent is NOT to use that energy.   This distinction doesn’t bother me - as I know of no other way to keep track of the intended char.  Reporting that the char doesn’t exist sure doesn’t make sense.

> 3.  On an ENERGY basis (not fuel basis), only the actual released energy in the biomass (after subtracting the energy that is still in the charcoal) should be used to calculate the heat transfer efficiency of the stove.   So the formula (and Ron’s second table) can be considered correct, but it should be perhaps emphasized that the column heading should be:     EE-stove   (ENERGY Efficiency of stove)    and is not     FE-stove  (Fuel efficiency of stove).
	[RWL:   I had three column headings:  e1 (thermal), e2 (char), and estove = e1/(1-e2)   (all in efficiency terms - but they can be converted easily to energy terms by multiplying by the measured input energy (often assumed as 10 MJ).
	If someone wanted to talk in “fuel” terms, I don’t think that would be a major heresy. The only units I think would/could be assumed are joules (or percentages - as here).

> ************
> I want to pick up on what Crispin wrote:
>>
>> Char produced as a co-benefit goes in the top line, not deducted from the bottom.
> That realization might have great merit.   Can the math-competent people please do that, and we can see the result.
	[RWL:  Already being done in WBT4.2.3 - which does both (as did I).

> Basically it says that ALL of the fuel (in the denominator) is used, but there are two products in the nominator.     I do not know how to add “Energy captured in the pot" AND "charcoal created (as weight or volume)".
	[RWL:  Right - have to all be in the same units (energy).  WBT4.2.3 is quite clear on how to go from a weight to energy for both input biomass and the char.
> Maybe convert the charcoal into units of energy.  And then add them.
	[RWL:  This is controversial.  No one I know is actively arguing for adding them (but char-making stove sales persons will probably do so.   But they both have huge meaning - as you make clear below.
> And that sum is divided by the energy of the fuel that is consumed and is no longer in its original biomass form.
	[RWL - For simplicity (agreeing with you), I put everything in efficiency (%) terms.  But there is no difference.

> Does this work?   Ron,  please put another column or two into your second table and send us the results.
	[RWL:  I don’t believe anything needs be added.  Percentages tells one everything that joules would tell.

> Another way to look at “efficiency" of fuel and of energy is to convert everything into monetary amounts.
	[RWL:  I like this also - but I don’t think this is part of my difference with Crispin over his use of the word “never” (above/below).

> $ value of having heated the pot       PLUS      $ value of the created char    / divided by     $ value of the biomass fuel.
>
> For use in this monetary equation, there can be multiple different values for each of the 3 variables.
	[RWL:  I think too many for ISO purposes.  This is a job for the person selling a stove.  Much easier for char-making stoves.  But diving $ by $ is permissible.

> Extreme values are possible, such as "if the pot does not get hot, the food is not cooked, and the baby dies" (a very high value for the heat to the pot.)      Also, biomass fuel that is actually expensive wooden furniture would command a high dollar value.
	[RWL:  Maybe valuable somewhere to talk about “baby dies” - but not something we need to discuss on this list in the sense you are using it.  But the reduction of particulates and CO with each stove is very important - in taking stove improvement into the world of DALYs - which word I strongly support. (And heavily (and illogically in my opinion) debunked by Nikhil.)

> On the low side, some biomass fuel could be invasive species that must be burned, so burning has no cost, and the act of doing the burning could receive payment.
	[RWL:  I think there us virtue in this topic - but not in WBT 4.2.3 - which I hope we can limit this thread to - as (again) is supposed to be related to Crispin’s “never”.

> But just sticking to common, defendable values, we can find ways to COMPARE the economic value of using one stove type (that makes char, for example) with another type that does not.
	[RWL:  Yes, but not part of today’s disagreement over “never”.  Have no fear - charcoal-making stove people will have plenty of ways to make that argument.  I believe that Crispin and I are ONLY talking about what should happen in WBT 4.2.3.

> This will become increasingly important if and when the world recognizes special values of charcoal, as in water filters or of carbon sequestration (without being biochar into soils) or as biochar with increased food production (with sequestration as an added benefit.).
	[RWL:  Not to mention methane, N2O, rural economic development, new building materials, probably reduced plant disease.  Hope someone can give you and I a rationale for supporting the view that e2 should not be reported - or why the use of e2 in the denominator is so terrible.

Ron

	ps - whew - wish I knew why I lost my first version of the above.