[Stoves] A debate about "efficiencies"..... was Re: ABCEG deceit and conceit

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jan 12 23:29:45 CST 2017

Dear Frank

I think all the responses needed are in my reply to Paul.
Crispin

Dear Crispin,

Yes - I believe moisture will effect the amount of char produced. I have always wanted to test this but never gotten around to it even though I can easily do it. My suggestion here is to dry the sample before putting into the pipe. Water is one of variables we want to control in the real World! If wet biomass reacts differently then dry - we want the results that that moisture gives. We may be able to determine the best moisture to have (one for char and one for water boiling), therefore eliminating that variable. But oven dry is the Control that all labs can get the same in the pipe.

Suppose we get the result (not a WBT, something else) and there is a result. Not, how will you decide on the mass produced? If you recover it using your fingers, you will get one result. It you recover it with a sieve, a different, larger amount. In both cases the amount will be less that the 'test mass'.

Let the fire burn down until the temperature of the boiling water loses one (?) degree. That is repeatable by all labs. Collect all the char / ash / wood left and dry / weigh and ash to get the DAF value. Compare that to what max amount you should get from the pipe.

How will you know if the Recovered percentage, being smaller, is because that is what char was made, or if it was burned‎?

You have torrefied wood increasing ‘char’ and you have high ash decreasing the char based on the pipe control. Likely one or the other but you could have both if the combustion front was not even. But always; the char quality should be checked by additional testing before using. Calling it char does not make it char. Good question and more work needed.

In short, what have you learned about the stove? The 'measurable' attribute is whatever recoverable mass you can recover, and the denominator that is appropriate is the initial dry mass. That gives you an effective determination of the effectiveness of char production.

I will need help with the math. But; For the purpose of comparing stoves the volatile fraction (found from the pipe) is the most important factor for boiling water. The char burning at the bottom does little to aid in boiling water - agree? So we get a much more sensitive test using just the volatile fraction as the energy in the denominator. Adding all the bottom char smoldering just increases the possible error. Also, you have all the data from the pipe for other calculations if you want.

Looking at it from the char side; You have your DAF char found after the WBT and can compare that to the total char possible as determined from the pipe.

What else does anyone what to know?
Why would the char, however much is recovered, affect the reported cooking efficiency of the stove, which is a measure of how much cooking benefit is gained for a given mass of fuel fed?

The way I outlined the procedure there is no overlap. There is energy concerns and char production concerns; all from the same biomass. As for the WBT there is but little benefit from anything but the volatile fraction. So just use that. For the char people there is no benefit from the volatile fraction. It is a negative value for them.

This way everybody is happy! And we have a test procedure that is robust enough to be used to detect changes in outcome when researching different conditions - at least I think we do. We need some funding to find out.

Frank