[Stoves] Money matters. (Re: A debate about "efficiencies")

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:40:26 CST 2017

Paul:

I don't think you want to add the energy value of char if it is going to
end up as addition to soil for purported climate benefits or soil
productivity benefits.

This is where the lunacy of reducing everything to CO2e -- the "footprint"
blather -- is clearly exposed. There is more to life than fossil CO2
(including respiration and photosynthesis, far far bigger processes than
fossil combustion).

I agree with you - dispense with mass and energy balances and use economic
values instead, with "useful thermal energy" valued as the residual.

Say a $ worth of fuel is ignited, and the value of unburnt fuel is zero or
$0.50. Then "useful thermal energy" is a dollar's or 50 cents worth
respectively. If someone else pays 50 cents for the latter - if char - then
the consumer is made whole. If that revenue is more, then the intervention
is "cost-negative".

One can statistically assign values for non-measurable benefits, and then
there is always the key importance of "consumer surplus". If the consumer
is willing to spend more - including investment in device or kitchen layout
or whatever else - then obviously the benefit is positive.

Yes, "special values of charcoal" are as important as "special values of
good wood". That paper in 1909 Journal of Home Economics did say something
like, "Wood has so much better uses than using as fuel."

But when "renewable biomass" becomes a cult, like CO2e cult, all the
nuances are lost.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831