[Stoves] Kimberley gasifier stove?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Jan 13 14:23:47 CST 2017

Dear Mangolazi and Adam

The Kimberly Stove was originally a boat stove to be installed in very cramped quarters which is why it is so tall and cooks only one pot. In fact I haven’t seen the most recent versions – they may be different now.

It was always expensive because of it is all-stainless steel and because it has two important certificates: it is the cleanest stove ever tested at the (IRRC) UL Lab (OMNI, maybe?) in Washington, and it meets the installation requirements, meaning it has a set of installation guidelines that are permitted by the State as ‘safe’.

The history of the development is that Roger Lehet joined this stoves list seeking assistance perfecting his tall boat stove. At the time he was about broke (like most of us) and closely connected to the Cob House crowd.  We talked about a few issues on the Stoves group then I assisted him privately for about one and a half years to get the gasification right and the burn broken into distinct two phases. The result speaks for itself.

Following his (very difficult to organise because of the huge cost) certification test results he was able to get the attention of Mother Earth and attend their shows. I understand he has done very well since then. His stove works well, is extremely clean burning (far below the current EPA requirements), is safe and last for a long time. He charges what the market will bear for such a product. I think he still sells a number to boat owners.

He has two models (at least): the Katydid and the Kimberly. His contact number is 206 850 2322 and he lives on Vashon Island.

For inspiration to others, I copy below a message I received after things were worked out and the stove was burning perfectly. I challenged him to test it with really sub-optimal fuel to prove the combustion system could cope with fuel ‘outside the normal range’.  This is what he had to say:

“We have taken your advice and started burning some CRAP I would never suggest a customer use. Wet cedar, pine, fir, and alder. In fact at an event at a large yacht club I got quite BALLSY and went down to the waters edge and picked out some salt water drift wood from the beach. Right in front of a crowd of over 150 people I threw a chunk of it on top of a good coal bed. THANK GOD......we only saw small whisps of smoke for about 6 minutes, and right back to damn near smokeless. Today I set up a mirror on the back deck of my porch so I can sit here and monitor the chimney top from my desk. I then loaded two (wet sponges) chunks of doug fir which were cut and split and lying on the ground in the rain for the last two months. To my surprise once again....there is not much more smoke than I exhale when I take a good drag off a cigarette. FAR FRIGNUGEN.”

The Kimberly stove is pretty conventional in how it works, meaning it is not a crossdraft of downdraft device, it burns regular wood, it has a window and door, that sort of thing. There is no special fuel preparation needed.

So…if he can do it so can others. We still have never met in person, the only exchange was emails and sketches. It is yet another credit to the Stoves list that the product was developed ‘starting here’ and is now a commercial success.

I met the founder of the organization at a couple of trade shows. He's a hard-working dude, really hustles sales, and his organization is definitely growing. Surprises me the amount of trade he's able to get at that price (and with the TEG, that low current).

Might ask Peter Scott--since they're basically neighbors on Vashon. Paul Means might know more too.

Adam

Hi all, I came across the Kimberley gasifier stove by Unforgettable Fire LLC while reading about small off grid houses. It's expensive at $5000 for a complete install but it's meant to replace cooking stoves and heating units.

Apparently it can run off biomass for up to 8 hours although I assume part of that is on coals once pyrolysis is over. Anyone had experience with this device? And are any stovers here working on dual purpose stoves for cooking and heating on cold climes?