[Stoves] Off-topic: Time to shut off dripping drivel - mine or GACC's? (Re: Tom Miles)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 14 23:29:43 CST 2017

Stovers,

These very recent messages, especially Crispin's critique of Nikhil and
others comments, have touched many emotions.  Issues have been exposed,
and questions raised.  But there are not yet answers. Differences have
not yet been resolved, even if eventually there is only agreement to
disagree.

HOWEVER, NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNLESS WE INSIST UPON WHAT TOM HAS STATED:

> GACC will be fully engaged at ETHOS in two weeks. Let’s discuss what
> can be accomplished by the stoves community, including GACC. Health
> impacts, fuels, stove designs, dissemination . . . Let’s be clear
> about the needs for current and future programs, and what should change.

But that is NOT likely to happen at ETHOS unless ETHOS does something
differently this year.   As an ETHOS participant since 2003, I know that
discussions that are IN DEPTH and truly open do NOT occur often (if
ever) at ETHOS.

GACC will "make presentations", but that is hardly being "fully
engaged".  Sort of like reading a GACC annual report.  Attendees are
told what the speakers want to tell.  There will be no "accounting" of
the GACC budget.   And very little discussion because there is so little
time.  And because attendees are truly polite and avoid confrontations.

There will be no resolution of issues about testing (even multiple
multi-day meetings of Working Groups or Task Forces on the testing
issues do not resolve the issues).   And ETHOS does not sit in judgement
of GACC or any entity.

Real impact / change of GACC will be at ETHOS only if the GACC itself
decides that some changes need to be made (and an announcement at ETHOS
would be an appropriate action.)

However, as Tom wrote:
> Let’s discuss what can be accomplished by the stoves community,
> including GACC. Health impacts, fuels, stove designs, dissemination . . .
AND
> Let’s be clear about the needs for current and future programs, and
> what should change.
If that discussion happens, we all can be much happier about the future
of stove solutions.  That is, ___IF___ such discussions happen.

For my part, I have the Saturday evening block, and I intend to lay out
pathways for success in positive terms.   I have not yet seen how the
GACC will significantly be of assistance, but I do have hope.   And open
discussion will follow on Saturday evening, and into Sunday if necessary.

Yes, I am glad that I go to ETHOS every year.   Almost always I can
detect only very small advancements.  Maybe this year will be better.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com