[Stoves] Test procedures

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon Jan 16 18:00:39 CST 2017

Paul,

I can see I need to use a lot more smily faces. : ) when I write.  There would be a lot left over from the ten million!

Biomass is such a variation of materials that it is not appropriate to name them like oak, pellets (made of many materials) and dung. It is a continuum. There are no books that list their energy values. Corrections are meaningless. We are not after energy efficiency. We are only after a test method we can use in the lab to compare stoves using oven dry fuel from a target location. Then take onsite using as-Received wild fuel - is my thinking (as of now).

Use five or ten fuels it doesn’t matter. Fill the pipe with whatever you want to get the volatile fraction and char-ash fraction. I have gone over this repeatably for years so not excited to torture people with it all again.

No need to compare a procedure like this where all variables are controlled and no Look-up data used to other procedures that have so much ‘guessing’ and twisting to fit into an engineer Energy Efficiency formula.  We determine if it works by how repeatable it is. And if we see a meaningful difference between data when using different fuels. We are after relative values used to rate different stoves as to better or worst for a fuel.

There is a lot more work involved in classifying a fuel. Physical properties and the different properties that make up the volatile fraction. That if we want to test the biomass at a location and then ‘look up' the best stove to use.

Regards

Frank

Thanks

Frank