[Stoves] Chinese stove photo sequence

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Fri Jan 20 06:04:57 CST 2017

On 19 Jan 2017 at 21:50, Frank Shields
wrote:

> Dear Neil,
>
> Thank you for your pictures and comments. This is excellent and
> exactly what all the scientist researching stove test methods and
> testing procedures should be doing. We wait and wait years for them
> to do what you have been doing.
>
> Cold frozen wood, different sizes, different packing densities and
> all described as to how well the burn went. These and many other
> conditions need be quantified and testing protocol developed to
> determine best conditions for a specific stove. And aid in best
> stove for a location based on biomass available.
>
> Well done!
>
> Frank

Thank you, pleased if it might be useful.
I feel quite happy with how it went.  I
imagine recording accurate emissions
etc AND photographing the burn might
be a bit of a handful without assistance
to be fair to the real scientists, LOL!

The large chunks of zero moisture
hardwood represent one extreme of
trying for a sensible flame with zero
moisture wood.  The other being
primary air choked by fines, but then
when the batch is burned there is no
extending the fire because of the mass
of fine dead char above the pyrolysis at
the bottom.  the larger the pieces, the
easier it gets to extend the burn. In
terms of best stove for location and fuel
it is clear to me that this stove is
optimised by air dried or even slightly
damp wood, and so highly suitable for
its intended camping/hiking market in N
America and europe, much as the Bush
Buddy is with its wire grate.  I might
struggle with this stove for a sane fire in
arid tropical regions, and would aim to
be able to choke off some of the primary
air and enjoy the cleaner burn.  But for
the UK at least with found wood
camping and hiking, I would say the
stove was optimal.  The unknown
Chinese designers knew what they were